Re: dialup as a normal user

From: Clifford Kite (kite_at_see.signature.id)
Date: 10/15/03

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:10:13 -0500

Peter T. Breuer <ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
> * Tong * <sun_tong@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> FYI, here is my /etc/ppp/options, if it might helps.

> OPTIONS FILES
> Options can be taken from files as well as the command
> line. Pppd reads options from the files /etc/ppp/options,
> ~/.ppprc and /etc/ppp/options.ttyname (in that order)
> before processing the options on the command line. (In
> fact, the command-line options are scanned to find the
> terminal name before the options.ttyname file is read.)
> In forming the name of the options.ttyname file, the ini
> tial /dev/ is removed from the terminal name, and any
> remaining / characters are replaced with dots.

Also, here are excerpts from the man page descriptions of the call and
file options:

      call name
              Read options from the file /etc/ppp/peers/name.
              This file may contain privileged options, such as
              noauth, even if pppd is not being run by root.

       file name
              Read options from file name (the format is
              described below). The file must be readable by the
              user who has invoked pppd.

Moreover, wvdial may invoke pppd with these or other options wired into
the command line. When a frontend to pppd with a chat replacement works
then it's fine, but when it doesn't - Good Luck!

>> lock
>> defaultroute usepeerdns

> Look further. You need more debugging turned on.

Also, adding the pppd option dryrun (man pppd) to the options file should
show all the options that are being used.

--
Clifford Kite                Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
PPP-Q&A links, downloads:                      http://ckite.no-ip.net/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: invoke pppd from script
    ... I get two different feedback if I invoke pppd from a script vs. invoking ... where the content of call gsm is ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • invoke pppd from script
    ... I get two different feedback if I invoke pppd from a script vs. invoking it ... where the content of call gsm is ...
    (alt.os.linux)