Re: OpenLDAP backup

dkoleary_at_attbi.com
Date: 10/16/03

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:39:10 GMT

Dm <domenm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> What's the best way to backup the data stored in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 directory?
> I'm using ldbm database type.
> Currenty I copy .dbb files while slapd server is online. What's wrong with that?

That will probably work; however, you run the risk of corrupted data files
if someone is writing to the directory when you're backing it up.

I've generally used slapcat to dump out the directory. Over 12,000 user
accounts results in a ldif file that's slightly over 5 megs. I back
that up, the scripts I use for modifying the directory and the directory
config file every night.

I can still miss an entry if someone were updating their entry during
the 30 seconds it takes to dump the directory; however, since I run
this at 0200 every morning *and* the users don't currrently have the
capability of updating their entries, I'm reasonably safe. Even if I
did miss an entry, it'd get caught the next night

My $.02...

Doug

--------
Senior UNIX Admin