Re: OpenLDAP backup

dkoleary_at_attbi.com
Date: 10/16/03

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:39:10 GMT

Dm <domenm@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> What's the best way to backup the data stored in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 directory?
> I'm using ldbm database type.
> Currenty I copy .dbb files while slapd server is online. What's wrong with that?

That will probably work; however, you run the risk of corrupted data files
if someone is writing to the directory when you're backing it up.

I've generally used slapcat to dump out the directory. Over 12,000 user
accounts results in a ldif file that's slightly over 5 megs. I back
that up, the scripts I use for modifying the directory and the directory
config file every night.

I can still miss an entry if someone were updating their entry during
the 30 seconds it takes to dump the directory; however, since I run
this at 0200 every morning *and* the users don't currrently have the
capability of updating their entries, I'm reasonably safe. Even if I
did miss an entry, it'd get caught the next night

My $.02...

Doug

--------
Senior UNIX Admin
O'Leary Computer Enterprises
dkoleary@attbi.com (w) 630-904-6098 (c) 630-248-2749
resume: http://home.attbi.com/~dkoleary/resume.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: openssh in stable-10 broken config or sandbox
    ... sandbox I.e. 'sandbox' by default. ... Just find that capsicum is required now for default (i.e. ... change and not even so much as an entry in UPDATING, ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Need help setting up SLIP trap
    ... Enter / next to an entry to choose from a list of Action Codes. ... C Date System Events Dump Abend Reason Module CSECT ... IEFJRASP ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Need help setting up SLIP trap
    ... Enter / next to an entry to choose from a list of Action Codes. ... C Date System Events Dump Abend Reason Module CSECT ... IEFJRASP ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Unique IPsec security policies
    ... > with outer addresses but it fails and kernel prints out: ... > adding a new SP entry that this check is done but when updating the SP ... when updating SP entries, it can make sense ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: openssh in stable-10 broken config or sandbox
    ... sandbox I.e. 'sandbox' by default. ... change and not even so much as an entry in UPDATING, ... would keep our promise on POLA on stable branches. ...
    (freebsd-stable)