Re: A Linux newbee

From: Jim Charier (direwolf_at_charter.net)
Date: 11/04/03

Date: 4 Nov 2003 06:11:39 -0800

direwolf@charter.net (Jim Charier) wrote in message news:<2eb9cac4.0311031314.256f266b@posting.google.com>...
> Hi folks, I have a simple question(at least I think it's simple). I
> have been a Windows zombie for sometime now but I want to break away
> from it and do some work with Linux, in particular I want to set up a
> Linux web server, basic web server at first but would like to expand
> as I learn. My question is this, whats the best Linux for setting up a
> web server, with one thing in mind, cost.... I dont have the money to
> spend on an enterprise server version from Redhat or Suse so I need an
> inexpensive solution. What would be my choices? Thanks in advance!

Well thanks everyone for your input, I have a system I am going to use
and its only about 9 months old so I think the Redhat 9.0 will work ok
I have started downloading the iso images from their site, I actually
have Mandrake 8.2, and may look into Debian. I figure it can't hurt to
tinker will different versions and see whats out there. A final
question, is there anything else I should grad for add on software
like Apache(or is that already a component of most Linux versions)?
Thanks again I REALLY appreciate all the info!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A Linux newbee
    ... >> Linux web server, basic web server at first but would like to expand ... I used to use redhat, but recently tried out mandrake 9, and I am very ... can help security) and install those. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: "Nimda"?
    ... I have used Apache a little, on Redhat just because that's the linux flavor ... Last hacking / security course I went thru had us bastionizing a forward ... 1000 hits a day isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, ... I recently built a Redhat Linux 7.0 server to use as a web server. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Unzip and rezip on Linex web server ?
    ... We have a dedicated web server running a Linux OS. ... But there's nothing like a "PHP page", typically a PHP script gets ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • RE: RE: Linux Web Server Hardening (LAMP + Wiki)
    ... Linux Web Server Hardening (LAMP + Wiki) ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Connect a Linux and a Windows 98 computer
    ... >> I've have a Linux computer on which I run a web server. ... >> display the content in a browser on my Windows 98 computer. ... >> What configuration files do I need to change in Linux and Windows98? ... apache web server on the Linux machine. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)