Re: A Linux newbee

From: Jim Charier (direwolf_at_charter.net)
Date: 11/04/03

Date: 4 Nov 2003 06:11:39 -0800

direwolf@charter.net (Jim Charier) wrote in message news:<2eb9cac4.0311031314.256f266b@posting.google.com>...
> Hi folks, I have a simple question(at least I think it's simple). I
> have been a Windows zombie for sometime now but I want to break away
> from it and do some work with Linux, in particular I want to set up a
> Linux web server, basic web server at first but would like to expand
> as I learn. My question is this, whats the best Linux for setting up a
> web server, with one thing in mind, cost.... I dont have the money to
> spend on an enterprise server version from Redhat or Suse so I need an
> inexpensive solution. What would be my choices? Thanks in advance!

Well thanks everyone for your input, I have a system I am going to use
and its only about 9 months old so I think the Redhat 9.0 will work ok
I have started downloading the iso images from their site, I actually
have Mandrake 8.2, and may look into Debian. I figure it can't hurt to
tinker will different versions and see whats out there. A final
question, is there anything else I should grad for add on software
like Apache(or is that already a component of most Linux versions)?
Thanks again I REALLY appreciate all the info!!