ISP-like bandwidth/download limiting

From: erik (erik_at_work.com)
Date: 11/17/03

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:40:36 +0100

Hi,

I manage a network with several users. Each user has his/her own pc, and
uses that for internet access. Each PC has a fixed IP.

Is it possible to impose a download limit based on computer (IP address),
just like most ISPs do? For instance, if the user on PC 1 has used up his
download limit (e.g. 10GB/month), bandwidth for that user (PC) should be
limited to smallband (e.g. 64k). What (GNU) tools can I use to achieve this?

Tnx!
E.T.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: One computer two different networks
    ... We have about 250 computers that are isolated in a high-security ... computers (one for the secure network, ... I think if you do grant internet access, your network would no longer be ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Network Planning
    ... I'm hoping for some advice on setting up our SBS 2003 Premium network. ... A couple of staff members also use wireless ... Internet access intended for use by clients and tenants. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: LAN connection, but not shared internet connection
    ... the host can't ping it's own IP/IP name - it can ... > master browser has no thing to do with the internet access. ... You just setup a network and all ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: flakey internet access through network
    ... but internet access comes and goes. ... # iwconfig eth2 essid "NAMEHERE" ... I was doing a netinstall here (with a wired connection on this network) ... my laptop, sometimes just the laptop, sometimes just the desktop, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Networking an XP to an existing ME home network
    ... I have Internet access, but no file sharing ... >>I currently have a network of two computers both running ME. ... >> ยท File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks ... >> sudden I had no Internet access or file sharing. ...