netconfig the right way

From: Miguel De Anda (sodamnmad_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 11/18/03

Date: 17 Nov 2003 17:10:52 -0800

I'm running slackware 9.1 and when I run netconfig I use the following
settings...

hostname: tiny
domain: computerlab
(just something i made up, all my machines use the same domain)

ip address: DHCP
dhcp hostname: <empty>

I'm running apache as a simple way to help with file sharing but also
to test out html pages and stuff like that. I've uncommented out the
bit of code that allows access to a user's public_html directory.

My questions:

a) how can I make it so I can do something like http://tiny/ or
http://tiny.computerlab/ or something similar? I also want to be able
to use then for when I ftp/telnet to that machine.

b) when I do ip/~username I get redirected to
tiny.computerlab/~testuser/ (changes ip to tiny.computerlab and add
the trailing /) but that can't be found. Is there a way to fix this?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: telnet on local LAN question
    ... Every host has a hosts-file where all other machines are listed as ... It depends on what use you're making of the hostname. ... concerned, the DHCP server has assigned IPs, and the DNS server says ... cases where using the hosts file is a big problem: ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: need help/understanding with /etc/hosts.....
    ... > i'm trying to install an app 'condor' which communicates betwen machines. ... your system looks when it needs to translate a hostname into an IP address. ... The IPs must be the correct ones for you local network. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: /etc/hosts
    ... on my minimal debian installation I'm missing the second line ... (with HOSTNAME). ... It is not needed if you have an entry in your hosts file for your own ... If you meant that there is an entry which has the local machines IP ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • SUMMARY: hostname in java is always returning fully qualfied?
    ... It was looking up nisplus first, and then dns, then exit. ... in java code there is a way to return the hostname of the ... two of our Solaris machines are always returning ... Solaris, IRIX, Tru64) but just two machines, two of my many Solaris machines ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Fwd: Re: Understanding Local Networking - Thanks, so far....
    ... just sort of assumed that when I set a local hostname & then let NM do ... My system has a local DHCP + DNS server, ... which I'd like to access from all 3 machines - "Her Indoors" ... If you need file access over Windows and Linux, then Samba is the usual ...
    (Fedora)