Re: Private Address Spaces

From: Anonymous (Nobody)
Date: 11/24/03

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:18:23 -0500

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:54:07 -0500, mchiper <notnuts@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In alt.computer.security, Msg ID: <c1.2b5.2pDrww$1G4@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>
> "William L. Hartzell" <wlhartzell@comcast.net>, wrote:
>
>>mchiper wrote:
>
>>> Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they
>>> assign to me using a Dynamic assignmet scheme..
>>> I assert that IF I don't know what they are doing, that MIGHT impact
>>> on my privacy and well being.. Then they MUST
>>> 1. Either inform me of their practices and allow my to DECLINE.
>>> 2. Or protect me, so that I have NO REASON to KNOW.
>>> To do otherwise constitutes deception, and FRAUD.
>
>>Depends upon where you are, your rights. In the US, ISPs are required
>>by law to know your IP and to have records of the IP assigned to you and
>>when you used them. There is a legal debate in court as to the legal
>>method to require ISP to surrender this information to third parties,
>>but not a debate about the fact that they have to when a proper writ is
>>issued. This is not the place to be debating lawyer stuff that has
>>little bearing upon your rights. BTW, you can change your NIC's mac
>>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP
>>enrollment process, if any. Your ISP has said (and you've repeated
>>without understanding: "install a new NIC") that will cause a different
>>IP to be assigned to you. Do it and save yourself a lot of telephone
>>hassle vis your ISP. The question of how the ISP assigns IP to you is
>>bogus. You have no need to know or care as it does not affect your
>>rights or security. The only thing that affects your rights beyond the
>>common & statute law rights is your ISP service agreement contract.
>>Read it.
>>
>>Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups?
>>The only question of How-to change your NIC's mac address would be proper in
>>these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously.
>>Start a new thread if you wish to ask that question as most
>>who would know how, have killed this thread already.
>>And don't cross-post to those alt newsgroups!
>
>The question is FUNDAMENTAL..
>You all are the very ones promulgating the FANTASY..
>Is my IP address PRIVATE between me and my ISP???
>
>My ISP is a MONOPOLY in this jurisdiction..
>I can NOT just change from one to ANOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, your IP address is NOT just private between you and your ISP, and
you're devolving further and further into complete gibberish.

And if you don't like your ISP being a geographic monopoly, move. or
open your own.

Mike-

P.S. If you don't like the security holes in windows, don't use it.

Idiot.

Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.

  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Are ISP assigned Addresses Private Address Spaces?
    ... >> Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... >little bearing upon your rights. ... >address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... >these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... your rights. ... >>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... >Is my IP address PRIVATE between me and my ISP??? ... installed site-wide spam filters at catherders.com. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse
    ... > Now, as far as creating folders on IIS/making a folder an Application, ... > You may need to check with the ISP about both of the above. ... That includes machine admin rights. ... > | application for that remote site. ...