Re: Private Address Spaces

From: William L. Hartzell (wlhartzell_at_comcast.net)
Date: 11/25/03

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:12:09 GMT

Sir:

mchiper wrote:
> In alt.computer.security, Msg ID: <c1.2b5.2pDrww$1G4@12-237-213-129.client.attbi.com>
> "William L. Hartzell" <wlhartzell@comcast.net>, wrote:
>

>>mchiper wrote:
>

>>>Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they
>>>assign to me using a Dynamic assignmet scheme..
>>>I assert that IF I don't know what they are doing, that MIGHT impact
>>>on my privacy and well being.. Then they MUST
>>>1. Either inform me of their practices and allow my to DECLINE.
>>>2. Or protect me, so that I have NO REASON to KNOW.
>>>To do otherwise constitutes deception, and FRAUD.
>

>>Depends upon where you are, your rights. In the US, ISPs are required
>>by law to know your IP and to have records of the IP assigned to you and
>>when you used them. There is a legal debate in court as to the legal
>>method to require ISP to surrender this information to third parties,
>>but not a debate about the fact that they have to when a proper writ is
>>issued. This is not the place to be debating lawyer stuff that has
>>little bearing upon your rights. BTW, you can change your NIC's mac
>>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP
>>enrollment process, if any. Your ISP has said (and you've repeated
>>without understanding: "install a new NIC") that will cause a different
>>IP to be assigned to you. Do it and save yourself a lot of telephone
>>hassle vis your ISP. The question of how the ISP assigns IP to you is
>>bogus. You have no need to know or care as it does not affect your
>>rights or security. The only thing that affects your rights beyond the
>>common & statute law rights is your ISP service agreement contract.
>>Read it.
>>
>>Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups?
>>The only question of How-to change your NIC's mac address would be proper in
>>these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously.
>>Start a new thread if you wish to ask that question as most
>>who would know how, have killed this thread already.
>>And don't cross-post to those alt newsgroups!
>

> The question is FUNDAMENTAL..
> You all are the very ones promulgating the FANTASY..
> Is my IP address PRIVATE between me and my ISP???
NO!!! Your IP is public and tied to you the second you use it. Attempt
to disguise it and you'll be liable to legal action in the US, when the
new SPAM law passes this week, not to mention that you'll be in breach
of your service agreement. Read it.

> My ISP is a MONOPOLY in this jurisdiction..
> I can NOT just change from one to ANOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who said anything about moving or changing ISPs? Not I. That was
someone else. If you have a bitch with them, place your comments after
their quote and tag it to their post.

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... your rights. ... address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... Why is this thread being posted to Linux and OS/2 newsgroups? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... your rights. ... There is a legal debate in court as to the legal ... >>address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... new SPAM law passes this week, not to mention that you'll be in breach ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Are ISP assigned Addresses Private Address Spaces?
    ... >> Is there a Law that says they MUST disclose the IP address they ... >little bearing upon your rights. ... >address at any time you wish and when you wish to go thru your ISP ... >these newsgroups, not everything else that has gone on in this thread previously. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: asp.net remote [hosted] configuration usse
    ... > Now, as far as creating folders on IIS/making a folder an Application, ... > You may need to check with the ISP about both of the above. ... That includes machine admin rights. ... > | application for that remote site. ...