Re: Sending email to dial up Linux box

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 11/29/03

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:25:17 +0000 (UTC)

On 28 Nov 2003 18:28:27 -0800, Eric Lewton <lewtone@myfastmail.com> wrote:
> Is this possible?
>
> I am running Red Hat 9.0 and my IP is currently 194.165.164.140
> (probably not any more).
> At time of writing I could ssh in so that really is me.
>
> I cannot send email to root@194.165.164.140 though and receive it.

That is not a valid address. When you use IP instead of hostname (or want
to ignore MX) it has to be in brackets: root@[194.165.164.140]

It might be easier if you set up dynamic DNS. I use no-ip.com for my
dynamic adsl (pppoe) and run its update client from /etc/ppp/ip-up (which
runs whenever ppp gets an IP). Then set that name as your hostname and
assign it to a static IP in /etc/hosts so your box can find itself. If
you have no static interface, use an extra loopback IP like 127.0.0.2.

You can find other dynamic DNS services by google searching for 'dns
hosting'.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/

Relevant Pages

  • RE: ssh login protection
    ... > is enough) between your mail servers and the world. ... external server is able to ssh your mail servers. ... have a free dynamic DNS service, and there are good clients for both Windows ... The next step would be to allow connections from your dynamic DNS hostname ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Really good spam filtering (Bayesian)
    ... There are numerous dynamic DNS services which will give you a hostname ... practically infinite user namespace.) ... A qmail server delivers mail for $-$ANYTHING@host.domain ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: hostname of remote computer
    ... register a dynamic DNS address for it? ... hostname for it too. ... fully qualified domain name when converting from IP address to name. ... So with that in mind a host really doesn't have one single ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Dynamic IP
    ... There are other ways to do this than with dynamic DNS, ... go "ssh user@$IP_ADDRESS", and Yo're done. ... Your ISP gave You, especially if it changes while You're not at home. ... dynamic DNS service), all services that Your box offers are available ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: host aliases
    ... it by a short nickname. ... Agreed, but since it's via dynamic DNS, it's 'foo.dynalias.org'. ... have your hostname) ... ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)