Re: Sending email to dial up Linux box

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 11/29/03

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:25:17 +0000 (UTC)

On 28 Nov 2003 18:28:27 -0800, Eric Lewton <lewtone@myfastmail.com> wrote:
> Is this possible?
>
> I am running Red Hat 9.0 and my IP is currently 194.165.164.140
> (probably not any more).
> At time of writing I could ssh in so that really is me.
>
> I cannot send email to root@194.165.164.140 though and receive it.

That is not a valid address. When you use IP instead of hostname (or want
to ignore MX) it has to be in brackets: root@[194.165.164.140]

It might be easier if you set up dynamic DNS. I use no-ip.com for my
dynamic adsl (pppoe) and run its update client from /etc/ppp/ip-up (which
runs whenever ppp gets an IP). Then set that name as your hostname and
assign it to a static IP in /etc/hosts so your box can find itself. If
you have no static interface, use an extra loopback IP like 127.0.0.2.

You can find other dynamic DNS services by google searching for 'dns
hosting'.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/