Re: simultaneous dial-up and ethernet lan??

From: Scott (scotcox_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/30/03

Date: 29 Nov 2003 19:45:06 -0800

Clifford Kite <kite@see.signature.id> wrote in message news:<8s4aqb.o1i.ln@corncob.localhost.tld>...
> Scott <scotcox@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Need some pointers at configuring a linux laptop to be able to access
> > a local network while making a ppp connection to the WAN.
>
> > using:
> > mdk9.2
> > kppp
>
> If there is a problem then you need to post more information. At a
> minimum that would be a narrative description of the problem.
>
> If this is a request for general instructions then consult the PPP
> HOWTO to setup dial out PPP or, better,
>
> http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
>
> and make sure there is no default route to the LAN.

Sorry, I was tired last night and really thought I put in enough info,
to only read it today and go??

My only unknowns here are how to I guess "route" the LAN. I use them
presently one at a time. KPPP has been great and does some things I
have never been able to accomplish using anything else. So..

I will check these links for hints. I am thinking that I need to route
the lan, or "eth0" for my 192.168.*.* somehow and to keep it that way
while when kppp is brought up to become the route for anything else.
THX

Relevant Pages

  • Re: dialup solution (as seconary connection / iptables )
    ... of the other LAN boxes then you shouldn't need to disable the NIC. ... DSL and dialup PPP can both be available at the same time. ... with no default route for the PPP interface if you want to ... Do I need to mark the connection or ..? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How to choose network path with two internet connection
    ... Suppose I have a laptop that has both Wired and Wireless connection. ... The Wired connection would be connected to LAN only. ... When you set up your LAN interface, the admin tools should set up a route for your LAN IP address range for that interface. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: simultaneous dial-up and ethernet lan??
    ... > thing to say before,, I have a pcmcia ethernet. ... > check box within kppp to no avail. ... that's not what I meant by default route through the LAN interface. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Unable to ping remote site
    ... The "answering" router needs a subnet route back ... to your private LAN through the RAS link if you want machines behind your ... >> A RAS connection is designed as a client-server application. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: Help me with the PPP dialup!!!
    ... Kppp or WvDial are two fairly good ones. ... Be sure the set your default route too: ... nameserver ... Once your connection is established be sure to secure it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)