Re: dhcp server and isp's dns...

From: James Knott (bit_bucket_at_rogers.com)
Date: 12/30/03

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:51:42 GMT

Luke wrote:

> I'm setting up a router/dhcp server, and my router gets its IP and DNS
> info via DHCP from my ISP.
>
> How can I pass the DNS info along to my clients when the DNS info is
> dynamically assigned? I see in the DHCP howto that you can do it easily
> if they are static, but what about dynamic?
>
> And what's the best way to add the
> /sbin/route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth1
> thing automatically? In the /etc/init.d/dhcp script? I'm using debian,
> and am worried that file will be overwritten every time dhcp is
> updated via apt-get... is this a valid concern?

While your IP is dynamic, your host name might not be. For example, my host
name is based on my computer mac address, which doesn't change. Failing
that, the Linux dhcp client can run a script, whenever the IP changes. You
should be able to do something with that, to update the DNS info.

--
Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
james.knott.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DHCP IP lease renewal ok, but a new PC can not obtain an IP ("An e
    ... I guess the problem seen with DHCP from PC's is a symptom of another ... Note that both robert and tina are blade servers within the save blade ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... I.e. DNS servers has their own IP as the first DNS server and another as ...
  • Re: dhcp not matching DNS
    ... What we are finding is the client will get a lease and you check dns ... and it does not match what was given by dhcp. ... To elaborate on scavenging and DnsUpdateProxy group that Meinolf mentioned, please read the following to gain a better understanding of how the whole thing works. ... Force DHCP to register all records, Forward and PTR, (whether a client ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Duplicate HOST A record entries on the reverse lookup Zone
    ... then 24 and did the manual/ start scavenging of the stale resource records ... Used the DHCP server to update DNS records: ... "Set Aging/Scavenging for All Zones. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • RE: Remote Access Issue
    ... the DHCP server do not update the A record for the ... Click DNS ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Active Directory Integrated DNS-DHCP -> DHCP computers with Pen Ic
    ... Active Lease, DNS dynamic update pending. ... available for lease by the DHCP server. ... It may mean that if it is stuck on the pencil icon, it means it cannot update the record in DNS because it already exists and DHCP server does not own the record, the client machine does, and therefore the DHCP server cannot update the record. ... How to configure DNS dynamic updates in Windows Server 2003. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)