PPPD and idle counter!

From: Theophanis Kontogiannis (tkonto_at_aegean.gr)
Date: 01/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:47:56 +0200

Dear all,

I have set up a RH9 linux box as my home gw to the internet (it is also
print server, ntp server, etc...)

I can not figure out one thing. The man pages for pppd 2.4.1 say that the
<active-filter> "This option is currently only available under NetBSD,
and then only if both the kernel and pppd were compiled with PPP_FILTER
defined."

OK then. How do I make ppp drop the connection if all my PCs in the internal
network are shut? tcpdump reports any kind of broadcast traffic on the ppp0
interface coming from the ISP (including OSPF multicasts)

I could add a rule with iptables but that did not work. Would not the pppd
be the first to peek up the incoming broadcast as traffic (thus reseting the
idle counter) before the packets are filtered by any netfilter/iptables
rule?

How can I do that?

Sincerely
Theophanis