PPPD and idle counter!

From: Theophanis Kontogiannis (tkonto_at_aegean.gr)
Date: 01/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:47:56 +0200

Dear all,

I have set up a RH9 linux box as my home gw to the internet (it is also
print server, ntp server, etc...)

I can not figure out one thing. The man pages for pppd 2.4.1 say that the
<active-filter> "This option is currently only available under NetBSD,
and then only if both the kernel and pppd were compiled with PPP_FILTER
defined."

OK then. How do I make ppp drop the connection if all my PCs in the internal
network are shut? tcpdump reports any kind of broadcast traffic on the ppp0
interface coming from the ISP (including OSPF multicasts)

I could add a rule with iptables but that did not work. Would not the pppd
be the first to peek up the incoming broadcast as traffic (thus reseting the
idle counter) before the packets are filtered by any netfilter/iptables
rule?

How can I do that?

Sincerely
Theophanis

HAPPY NEW YEAR...........

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Iptables question about peer-to-peer rules
    ... I've been able to use my Linux machine as a print server by ... > Which, of course, means that iptables rules should be read in at boot ... > This seems a little weird, as 10.0.0.1 is my gateway to the internet. ... > costs rule out having my Linux computer always running. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: PPP for accessing an embedded device (routing problem)
    ... but as PPP is normally designed to access Internet ... from a client machine, it appears that all TCP/IP request are automatically ... That means that, because of this default route setting, the client machine ... either when you invoke pppd or in a standard options file (like ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)
  • Re: Problems with my network.
    ... systems connected to the Internet via a DI-524 (wireless router). ... also have a PS121 (print server from Netgear) connected to the router. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Publishing TCP/IP Printers through ISA
    ... What is the exact error message that you are getting? ... > I am trying to publish a TCP/IP LPR printer on the Internet. ... > connect but doesn't start a Telnet session with the print server. ... > server publishing rule but still no luck printing. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: REmote printer setup SCO 5.0.5
    ... >>router that IP address in the DMZ so it's open to the public with an IP ... >>address like 64.64.2.2 that could be reached over the internet. ... >the DMZ print server that is different from the IP address of the NAT ... >be seen from the WAN side are redirected to this static address. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)