DSL home networking

From: UseNaut (UseNaut_at_nospam.biz)
Date: 01/13/04

Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:47:54 GMT

I have a computer hooked up to Earthlink via DSL.

I am about to buy a new computer, and want to use one as a /gateway/ and
hook up the second as a node on a Local subnet ( 192.168 ).

Earthlink advertises /home networking/ for $9.95. Is this really
necessary?

Can anyone advise me how to set up my first computer as a Linux gateway (
running Fedora RC1 ) and my other computer as a node that would use that
gateway. Isn't it just as simple as making the gateway my _nameserver_
and assigning it a static IP in the 192.168.1 range ???

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DSL home networking
    ... > I have a computer hooked up to Earthlink via DSL. ... > Can anyone advise me how to set up my first computer as a Linux gateway ( ... you need the gateway to be more than a gateway in this case. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Slightly OT- Switching DSL Providers
    ... I think I signed up for Earthlink DSL last summer around this time. ... What's the best way of switching from Earthlink DSL to SBC ... package one: $12.99 first year, $29.99 after; ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Multiple broadband services OK
    ... and he pays $35 before tax. ... me take pause is that the Earthlink news server seems ... about $10 more making it essentially the same as your dsl line. ... Since I wouldn't use cable telephone for BOTH ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: SMTP authentification
    ... I just went through a similar exercise, moving from one DSL to another. ... DSL ISP) ... Alternate gateway: not defined ... > to use a certain style of email address in the From: header. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: 2 Gateways on 1 NIC on Windows Server 2003
    ... >> gateway as the router connected to the DSL modem... ... >> the router connected to the Cable modem. ... >> I currently have 1 NIC in my AV server. ...