Re: another samba question

From: richard noel fell (fell01_at_rcn.com)
Date: 01/16/04

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:12:36 -0500

Carl wrote:

> richard noel fell wrote:
>
>> Thanks to advice from this newsgroup, I can now access my linux
>> (redhat 9.0 on intel) machine from my xp machine and share files. The
>> next thing to do is to be able to print from my xp using my linux
>> printer. I am trying to use Samba to do this. However, here is the
>> problem.
>> According to information secured from the web, I am supposed to
>> select the "Printer" button from the Samba interface and proceed from
>> there. However, there are only 4 buttons on my Samba interface, Home,
>> View, Status and Password. Other than Password, none of these allows
>> any interaction. What am I missing here?
>> Thanks,
>> Dick Fell
>>

> the default samba configuraion file will do this just fine without any
> changes. Have you setup your Linux printer? If you have it should
> show up in XP already I would assume.
>
> For me I set up a RAW Queue and installed the actual driver on windows
> box because it wouldnt do a network install from samba. then I
> pointed the driver toward the real printer on the linux box.
>
> clg

Thanks for the advice. It works.
Dick Fell

Relevant Pages

  • Re: CUPS printer hangs on remote print. Suggestions? (long)
    ... jobs from another machine printed via Samba to the same CUPS ... The printer for Linux, the Win2K development machine, and my OS/2 ... The PostScript output (from an OS/2 ... Textronix Phaser 550 driver) makes it to 'manticore', ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] trying to figure out how to share a data drive
    ... information about your linux setup so I can make sure we are talking ... partition that windows can read in a dual-boot scenario, ... running samba on linux, then you can share disk space just as if the operating ... your user name is 'george' If it's not, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Samba Network
    ... only samba and may stay this way for a time. ... I can write from a linux box accross ... 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper ... 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] SAMBA.
    ... Stumbled across this about SAMBA authentication and windows ... authentication separate from the general linux authentication (I don't ... This is really the worst parts of setting up a home server. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Two problems with Samba on Suse 9.1 and Windows 98 (reposted)
    ... > I have two problems with a setup that includes two Win98 machines and ... > server on the Linux box, in addition to the existing Samba client. ... As far as I know Samba (which implements a peer-to-peer server message block ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)