Linux Box as Firewall or ADSL Router?

From: Adrian P. Ireland (adrian_at_spam.spam.invalid)
Date: 01/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:05:10 +0000

I am looking for opinions.

I have a SOHO and have set it up with an old box (PIII 500MHz) as
a firewall. This box has;
        Linux 2.4.22, LFS distribution, Shorewall scripts (yummy).
        Two NICS (red and green)

The red NIC is attached to an ADSL router (D-Link DSL-504)
The green NIC is attached to a switch for the internal network.

The ADSL router has some firewall facilities.

I have the D-Link re-directing port 80 to a box on my internal network that
acts as a webserver.

Now I am short a box, I am trying to upgrade the box I use as the
webserver to 2.6.1 and I am having some problems with needing to reboot
and the odd lock up.

Would I loose much security by just using the firewall on the D-Link
router and stealing the Linux box to use as a server while I am fiddling
with the other one?

I think I may have made things overly complicated, but before I had the
ADSL router, I just had a dialup per modem to the Internet and I used
the Linux firewall to share the connection (slow as it was). The
smallest change I could have made was just to change the dialup
connection per modem for the ADSL router as I had an old NIC lying
around.

Adrian

--
I hate spam
reverse the last bit to repond personally: aireland atya net : eircom

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] why no "cups" entry in YaST Firewall Allowed Services in 11.3?
    ... So if someone passes through your ADSL router and through the cups port ... breaks in to your local system you are OK? ... Personally yes otherwise why bother with a firewall, ... your internal network or don't and printing is an internal service. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Ports And Protocols which need to be open on Firewall
    ... It's no port/protocol problem anymore at the firewall. ... The provider claims the ADSL router should be completely transparent. ... I've connected through the same ADSL router (other firewall) over PPTP ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: CISCO Vs Watchguard
    ... what does the 827 ADSL ROUTER contain that the WatchGuard ... > it appears to be a simple NAT ROUTER not a firewall. ... Also tracks UDP sessions. ... I don't know WatchGuard, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: [opensuse] samba ports and SuSEfirewall2
    ... Thanks for taking all that time Rodney. ... The adsl router does ... FIN/URG/PSH attack: ... client will be able to automatically "punch" a hole in the firewall as ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] samba ports and SuSEfirewall2
    ... inside (the server side) or it is blocking outgoing netbios packets. ... since it is on your internal network). ... Does your ADSL router have a built-in firewall? ...
    (SuSE)