Help: Tunneling multicast

From: Bev A. Kupf (bevakupf_at_myhome.net)
Date: 01/25/04

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:22:02 GMT

I want to tunnel multicast DNS (zeroconf/rendezvous, multicast
group 224.0.0.251, port 5353) between four subnets. The routers
connecting these subnets do not route multicast, and I don't
control the router. But I do have linux boxes in all four
subnets. Is there a simple way for me to tunnel multicast
between the subnets over unicast packets, making use of something
like vtun or something that makes use of the Linux 2.4 tap/tun
interface??

Thanks!

--
Bev A. Kupf
Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

Relevant Pages

  • Help: Tunneling multicast
    ... I want to tunnel multicast DNS (zeroconf/rendezvous, ... The routers connecting ... these subnets do not route multicast, and I don't control the router. ... But I do have linux boxes in all four subnets. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Best solution to segment subnets
    ... i have a no clear idea of this scenario, maybe so nat routers are confusing me. ... subnet 1 and subnet 2 are two room in the second floor, i need isolate them from subnet 3 and from each other. ... Three subnets need internet. ... It won't isolate the subnets if the switches are uplinked to each other. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing)
  • Re: share 1 ISP connection with 2 LANs?
    ... Routers handle such standing on their heads ... using a separate static WAN IP address. ... and keep the two subnets separate. ... one WAN port and one LAN port, and then a switch is hung off the LAN ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Best approach for broadcasting a notifivation to another progr
    ... I think that normally routers block all broadcasts by default, ... I have found that many admins will allow broadcasts between them (at least ... As for the Terminal server issue, I don't know how that would do. ... I have a customer that has two subnets joined by Cisco pix ...
  • Re: EIGRP Configuration Help
    ... all single-homed locations are configured as stub. ... Subnets again much similar. ... The network design is archaic and a relic of the past in terms of subnets, ... stub routing on each of these routers. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)