Re: Intranet plus cable connection.

From: Oliver O'Boyle (
Date: 02/03/04

    Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:45:08 -0500

    > Is the above described lash up sufficient or do I need an external
    > router box in the circuit somewhere?

    you need a crossover cable between your linux box and your w98 box
    otherwise your tx will go to your tx as opposed to your rx. in other
    words, both machines will be talking but neither listening. if you
    use a crossover cable, you don't need a hub or switch to make this

    on linux, enable forwarding (routing) between interfaces, and
    configure your inside interface like this (outside will use DHCP from

    ifconfig netmask

    and configure your w98 interface with an ip address of
    subnet mask and with a gateway of it can
    use the DNS servers from your ISP.

    ping each computer from the other to ensure IP connectivity. then,
    from w98, ping a server (using IP address) on the internet that you
    know isn't quenching ICMP echo's. if this works, ping same server
    using DNS name ( if these work, you are good to go.

    good luck

    Version: PGP 8.0.3

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    • Re: Web Server Behind A DHCP Router
      ... > I can ping the Linux using, ... > I also got some dns - server numbers I got ... > first attempt at setting up a Linux web server! ...
    • Re: Linux PC cannot ping, but Windows can?
      ... I tried to ping two computers in my office on my home PCs. ... computers is a web server running Win 2000 Server, ... My home Windows PC can ping both my office computers without any problem. ... But my home Linux PC can only ping the Win 2000 Server (as well as other ...
    • Re: Unable to ping netbios names from linux
      ... > linux directories with my windows xp. ... > ping the linux server from then windows xp but I can't ... I can't ping xp from linux by name. ... files nisplus nis dns wins ...
    • No response from the gateway
      ... I am setting up a small office network. ... on the network that could ping the linux server while the server can ... workstations is Request Time Out while on the server (Linux) ...
    • Re: http://companyweb
      ... the Firewall Client should be installed and the ... LAN-settings in IE should point to the server and port 8080. ... Clear the internetcache on the W98. ... Network Services Virtual Adapter ...