ttyS: 1 input overrun(s)

From: Phisherman (nobody_at_noone.com)
Date: 02/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:10:53 GMT

After running a perl script to dial my ISP, I get an error message
after about 60 seconds of connection

ttyS: 1 input overrun(s)

Then my external modem disconnects. My modem is /dev/ttyS0.

/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

There are two more ttys using IRQ4. It would be nice to have just one
port (the modem) using IRQ4--is that possible?

I noticed /dev/ttyS2 is also using IRQ4 (is that OK?) I have a scuzy
hard drive. My ext modem is connected to serial COM1. Nothing
physical is connected to COM2. My UART is on the motherboard. As
root, I tried to install IRQTUNE, but the make install failed after
writing out the object modules (the irqtune file is there, but won't
execute -- even with -rwxr-xr-x). I have a sound card, but I can
remove it.

Anyway, there some simple fixes for the input overruns? There's lots
of (confusing) material about this subject.

Thanks.

I'm using Fedora Core 1.

Relevant Pages

  • Limited or no connectivity (tried everything on pchucks, out of ideas)
    ... D-link WBR-2310 wireless router ... computers on the network. ... When I connect the modem directly there is no ... wanted to make sure I still had a connection. ...
  • Re: Portmon log for Paul (Part1)
    ... Often, I hear the modem dial, then I hear the ... So, the XP connection is at least working, and I am posting this from ... I tried several Hayes command set ... The INIT string in WinXP is likely all one string. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Router install problem
    ... The internet reaches the computer through a modem at ... install a wireless router between the ... After telling me to check the connection between the router ...
  • Re: what is the 1394 connection ?
    ... Where all but my 2 modem connections were either ... >> something above about them having a 'The shop used the Firewire port ... >supporting Ethernet for a LAN connection to an intranetwork. ... So it doesn't matter if you use a NIC, USB, or Firewire because ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: what is the 1394 connection ?
    ... something above about them having a 'The shop used the Firewire port because ... they had a Firewire hub, switch, or broadband modem' ... usually supporting Ethernet for a LAN connection to an intranetwork. ... USB 1.0 only gave you 11Mpbs and even that is faster than what your broadband ISP gives you for Internet bandwidth. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)