ttyS: 1 input overrun(s)

From: Phisherman (nobody_at_noone.com)
Date: 02/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:10:53 GMT

After running a perl script to dial my ISP, I get an error message
after about 60 seconds of connection

ttyS: 1 input overrun(s)

Then my external modem disconnects. My modem is /dev/ttyS0.

/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

There are two more ttys using IRQ4. It would be nice to have just one
port (the modem) using IRQ4--is that possible?

I noticed /dev/ttyS2 is also using IRQ4 (is that OK?) I have a scuzy
hard drive. My ext modem is connected to serial COM1. Nothing
physical is connected to COM2. My UART is on the motherboard. As
root, I tried to install IRQTUNE, but the make install failed after
writing out the object modules (the irqtune file is there, but won't
execute -- even with -rwxr-xr-x). I have a sound card, but I can
remove it.

Anyway, there some simple fixes for the input overruns? There's lots
of (confusing) material about this subject.

Thanks.

I'm using Fedora Core 1.

Relevant Pages

  • Limited or no connectivity (tried everything on pchucks, out of ideas)
    ... D-link WBR-2310 wireless router ... computers on the network. ... When I connect the modem directly there is no ... wanted to make sure I still had a connection. ...
  • Re: Portmon log for Paul (Part1)
    ... Often, I hear the modem dial, then I hear the ... So, the XP connection is at least working, and I am posting this from ... I tried several Hayes command set ... The INIT string in WinXP is likely all one string. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Router install problem
    ... The internet reaches the computer through a modem at ... install a wireless router between the ... After telling me to check the connection between the router ...
  • Re: Help needed with intermittent internet
    ... directly into the modem using what I believe they call PSV, ... do not see how this factor bears on an internet connection's reliability ... both when connection is working and has failed. ... did same thing using ping from subscriber side - and collected numbers ...
    (comp.dcom.modems.cable)
  • Re: Is there a minimum dialup speed that Vista can cope with?
    ... I no longer ring Eircom ... internet/phone bundle with another ISP, UTV (Eircom just rakes in the line ... I'm keeping modem logs because the line quality fluctuates many times ... hardware/software to fail with this slow connection. ...