IP assignments, routing and NAT

From: M. Hrabowski (mhrab_at_ira.uka.de)
Date: 02/20/04

Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:37:55 +0100

Hi ng,

 I want to build up a network with a set of static IP's that my provider
assigned to me. It's a 3-bit subnet of a Class C network address I presume.
So if I let out network (0), gateway (1) and broadcast address (7) there
are five IPs left (e.g. 200.100.200.2 - 200.100.200.6, netmask
255.255.255.248 ).

 So far so good.
 - I want to make a number of servers available to the internet using the
different static IPs. They are all connected to the other side of the
firewall and I don't want to use Port Forwarding.
 - The computer meant to be the firewall between the servers and the gateway
has only two NICs. It's not possible to extend it.

So I want the servers all reside in a private network (e.g. 192.168.0.0) and
make them available via the static IP's through some kind of static NAT
from the firewall/router. So f.e. all requests from the internet for
200.100.200.3 should be sent to 192.168.0.3, all requests for 200.100.200.4
should be sent to 192.168.0.4 and so on. Is such a configuration possible
(iproute2??). And if, how is such a static 1 to 1 address translation
called?

Hope someone can help me...

Cheers,
Max

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Secure Network Design (DMZ, LAN, etc)
    ... you'll see that their both on the same subnet. ... It has a port for the trusted network and a port ... Our firewall handles NAT. ... > servers, wouldn't it require a public IP and therefore be somewhat ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Using a Linksys router, should I also use Zonealarm?
    ... public internet to access corporate network. ... In the "old days" when people used to use Dial-In instead of VPN you ware ... protected by corporate Firewall -- since there was no public Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • RE: Hidden Ports
    ... this is done by the firewalls to prevent authenticated files from being replaced by trojans and connecting to the internet. ... kerio firewall ... or a program that already had network access attempted to ... > Depending on the Access setting for a component, ZoneAlarm Pro ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: [fw-wiz] Security Audit and Priorities
    ... Learn your network. ... - Linux Security Cookbook ... Building Secure Servers with Linux ... It's one thing to be a firewall admin and write ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall Placement Question
    ... Hang internet-accessible servers off one firewall leg, ... connections outbound to the internet. ... more or less match firewall segregations makes things easier. ... usefulness of two technologies inside the network firewall vs. IPS's. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)