Re: MSS set to 40

From: David Efflandt (efflandt_at_xnet.com)
Date: 02/27/04

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:17:29 +0000 (UTC)

On 25 Feb 2004 11:50:17 -0800, BDK <bdknoll@runbox.com> wrote:
> We have recently migrated from Solaris to Linux, and I've noticed the
> MSS size in linux is set to 40. It seems this should be changed. Our
> Sun boxes were set to 536. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Where are you seeing this 40? MSS is typically 40 bytes less than MTU, so
I second the reply that said MSS would typically be 1460 (for default
ethernet mtu 1500), or 1452 for PPPoE (mtu 1492).

Even the MSS 536 (mtu 576) on your Sun boxes sounds ancient, probably
before I got on the internet with a Solaris ISP in 1995.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting the mss for socket
    ... Luiz Otavio O Souza escreveu: ... Is there a way to set the mss for a socket? ... Like you can do in linux with setsockopt? ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Changing TCP MSS under LINUX
    ... Is it is possible to change TCP default send MSS under LINUX somehow? ... In particular network, engineers use some fancy feature which adds ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Setting the mss for socket
    ... Is there a way to set the mss for a socket? ... Like you can do in linux with setsockopt? ... Luiz ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Setting the mss for socket
    ... Patrick Tracanelli wrote: ... Is there a way to set the mss for a socket? ... Like you can do in linux with setsockopt? ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • MSS set to 40
    ... We have recently migrated from Solaris to Linux, ... MSS size in linux is set to 40. ... Sun boxes were set to 536. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)