Routing Question

From: Arthur (amerar_at_iwc.net)
Date: 03/10/04

Date: 9 Mar 2004 16:33:55 -0800

Hi All,

I'm quite the novice at understand this, so maybe someone can help me.

I have 2 NIC's in my Linux box, and 2 DSL lines going to them. I can
successfully SSH into only one of the IP's. My guess is that it has
something to do with my internal routing table. But since I do not
understand it, I thought maybe someone can tell me what to do.

Here is my routing table:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0
0 eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 eth0
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
192.168.0.0 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 UG 0 0
0 eth1
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth1
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 eth1
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 lo

Notice that there is no line for eth1 that matches this:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0
0 eth1

That may be my problem? But when I attempt to add that route here is
what happens:

route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 eth1
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

I'm really lost here. I need to be able to SSH into either NIC....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthur

Relevant Pages

  • Routing Question
    ... I have 2 NIC's in my Linux box, and 2 DSL lines going to them. ... successfully SSH into only one of the IP's. ... something to do with my internal routing table. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Routing/Filtering: scalability
    ... >> internally bound local traffic is not routing through the Linux ... > box is to protect the main network from those on the other side. ... your internal routing needs -- it could be Linux as well. ... > cannot trust ANY of these computers but we need to let them onto our ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • RE: [opensuse] Good fast PC and printer in the UK?
    ... Another dull query about hardware recommendations. ... colour laser that is known to perform well with Linux. ... why not just get a dedicated wired-and-wireless router ... If the routing function absolutely must be accomplished via ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OT: ISPs: Linuxs role nowadays
    ... for Web servers and that, for routing and firewalling, nobody escaped ... Servers don't really make good routers. ... directly to Linux systems for routing that could compete with a basic ... Juniper or Cisco on price and ease of use. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OT: ISPs: Linuxs role nowadays
    ... When you start talking about SONET links, Linux AFAIK ... "Real" routers use hardware-based forwarding ... Dynamic routing has always been pretty weak in Linux as well. ... Vyatta Appliance, Vyatta 3520, Premium Subscription, H/W Expedited 4HR, 3 Years ...
    (Fedora)