cannot connect to internet

From: Intelligent Guy (intelligent_guy007_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/05/04

Date: 5 Apr 2004 07:14:41 -0700

Hello Everyone,
   Last weekend I installed Fedora Core 2 (Redhat's test version) from
scratch. The installation went on fine, but now I am having strange
problem with internet setup. My computer is dual boot and I can surf
internet when I am on windows xp. I cannot do same when i boot my
computer on Redhat Linux.
   I have cable modem and I am using DHCP as I connect through a
router.
1. I used internet connection wizard to setup internet connection.
Specified DHCP and ethernet as connection mechanism. /etc/resolv.conf
shows correct DNS IP address and domain name.
2. ip_forwarding is set to 1.
3. I can ping other machine on my network, but I cannot seem to
www.redhat.com. Only thing I can successfully ping is www.yahoo.com
(not sure why that is happening).
4. eth0 settings also seem to be allright.
5. route command shows that all unkown IP packets should be routed to
the gateway (whose IP address is also correct).
6. If i use webbrowser, it times out after waiting for while for any
website.

My gateway address is : 192.168.0.1
pc #1 : 192.168.0.2 (this machine is dual boot with windows xp and
fedora core)
pc #2 : 192.168.0.3 (windows xp , works fine can access internet)

Yes, firewall is on and iptable rules are default with what ever rules
are set during installation. Please help in fixing this problem.

Thanks
Smart Guy,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedora Core 2 - Cant get mail, download or browse web pages
    ... Simon Andrews wrote: ... What I have to do to use the internet is the following: ... installation of Fedora Core 1 to "/etc/resolv.conf" in my Fedora Core 2 ...
    (Fedora)
  • Problem in connecting to internet - please help
    ... Last weekend I installed Fedora Core 2 from ... The installation went on fine, but now I am having strange ... problem with internet setup. ... internet when I am on windows xp. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: cannot connect to internet
    ... The installation went on fine, but now I am having strange ... > problem with internet setup. ... > internet when I am on windows xp. ... firewall is on and iptable rules are default with what ever rules ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Dialup Lockup - HiddenFaxWindow
    ... Dialup lockup and "HiddenFaxWindow" problem. ... The problem itself seems simple enough: "WinXP internet connections freezing ... Norton CleanSweep monitored the installation and I used CleanSweep to remove ... Microsoft IM set to load on boot, I did check out my DirectX. ...
  • Cannot Install Internet Explorer SP 1
    ... but I am not able to connect to the internet while ... Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service. ... installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1 in Safe mode. ... but upon installation the process ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)