RH7.3 - mgetty stopped working after up2date - what's wrong?

From: Tim (bollox_at_bollox.com)
Date: 04/09/04

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 08:34:09 GMT

I wonder if anyone can help?

I've been running a RH7.3 box for about a year, with mgetty 1.1.28 for
out-of-band dial-in.

This worked flawlessly, until I made the mistake of running an up2date
on the box. I let it upgrade mgetty, whereupon it stopped working, so
I downgraded to 1.1.28 again, but it still doesn't work.

It seems to work ok for a short time, and the first call works, but
from then on, communication between the PC and the modem appears to
become very flaky - mgetty sends init strings etc. but sometimes the
OK will appear, sometimes not, sometimes it gets stuck at various
other points in the initialisation process. If it does successfully
initialise, it then can't answer the call, because it doesn't seem to
see the RING message from the modem.

As I write this, it is getting stuck at "lowering DTR to reset
modem...", until I call the number (so RING is sent from the modem),
then it tries to send an init string, but never gets a response.
Weird.

Restarting mgetty doesn't help - it comes back in the "flaky" state.

I have tested the modem on another RH7.3 box with *identical* config
(but before running up2date), and it functions perfectly, so I know
the modem itself is good.

I am sure that the problems are caused by something up2date did, but
can anyone suggest what I might try to fix it?

TIA!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: asyncmap and windows
    ... I can ping the mgetty ... All these work over a lan, only fail with the modem ... I was informed that linux did not re-negotiate ... asyncmap and the only solution was to have matching asyncmaps. ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)
  • Dialin to Fedora Core 3 from Windows
    ... (config and log files below) ... linux side the behavior is different (the mgetty logs are below). ... Best Data modem the pppd is started and stays running until manually ... 03/17 15:58:13 yS0 WARNING: starting login while DCD is low! ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • asyncmap and windows
    ... I am trying to get a 3-wire modem to work with mgetty to answer inbound ... The client is WinXP and uses a complete modem cable. ... I suspect the issue is to do with the asyncmap and the escaped chars. ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)
  • Re: AutoPPP fails to establish a connection during long distance calls
    ... >This is Saradhi. ... I am using mgetty to provide a PPP solution ... NO. the problem was that mgetty was waiting for the modem to send the ... >Init chat, fource init chat and answer chat sequences are the default ...
    (comp.protocols.ppp)
  • mgetty
    ... I have equipped the server with an external Duxbury Full ... The modem is installed and configured and works on dial out. ... Is there some getting started with mgetty advice anyone here could offer ... Redhat Certified Technician ...
    (Fedora)