Re: Large binary newreader help please!

From: Ohmster (bigbigkitty_at_invalid.anywhere.com)
Date: 05/02/04

Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 19:29:48 GMT

Bit Twister <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> wrote in
news:slrnc9ai5i.ne4.BitTwister@wb.home.invalid:

OMG, this is so freaking kewl, you are a genious, Bit Twister!

> You realy aught to try the command man slrn

Did that already, I couldn't find a way to lauch slrn from the console and
specify which server that I want to use easily. Besides, I would *never* have
been able to figre all of this out. :)

> My solution.
> I created a script and pass which server I want to access.
> I then have a launch icon for each server with a command line like
>
> /site/bin/news comcast
> /site/bin/news giga

So what is the name that you created for this script? "news"?
You put the script in /site/bin/ ? Can I just put it in ~/scripts ?

Your script will accept a command line argument like "comcast" or "giga"?

Oh man I gotta try this....

In my ~/.slrnrc I can put my username and password for the server and it
works when I use that server in my /etc/profile file. How do you handle the
user/pass issue with your script? Do you just answer these questions when
slrn loads? This is a bit difficult because giganews gave me a real weird
username and password, I will never be able to remember these items. Can your
script be modified to accept user/pass strings or can your script be modified
to read them from a file?

> news script snippet follow:
>
> case $1 in
> giga) NNTPSERVER=news.comcast.giganews.com
> ;;
>
> comcast)
> NNTPSERVER=netnews.comcast.net
> # NNTPSERVER=63.240.76.16 # New Jersey
> # NNTPSERVER=204.127.199.17 # San Francisco
> NNTPSERVER=204.127.204.17 # Central usa
> # NNTPSERVER=216.148.227.77 # San Francisco
> ;;
>
> *) echo " "
> echo "$1 is an invalid selection"
> echo " "
> echo "Usage: news giga"
> echo " news comcast"
> exit 1
> ;;
> esac
>
> export NNTPSERVER
>
> xterm -tn xterm -fn 10x20 -title "news $1 " -geom 100x43+200+200 -e
> slrn -C

This last line I presume sets the window geometry when you use slrn in
xwindows. What does "slrn -C" do?

Wow, this is really cool. Thanks a lot Bit Twister!

--
~Ohmster

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Large binary newreader help please!
    ... OMG, this is so freaking kewl, you are a genious, Bit Twister! ... I couldn't find a way to lauch slrn from the console and ... > I created a script and pass which server I want to access. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Newsgroups that seem to be mailing lists.. can I post?
    ... You can run two or more instances of slrn simultaneously as long as ... As long as there's *some* server for ... Example script (In use. ... I've never done anything with thee NNTPSERVER setting except for ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Large binary newreader help please!
    ... > console and specify which server that I want to use easily. ... a chmod +x news after you create the script. ... Looking at man slrn you could have a .slrnrc_bell and .slrnrc_giga ... it loads /etc/news/slrn.rc and then loads your ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Large binary newreader help please!
    ... > console and specify which server that I want to use easily. ... a chmod +x news after you create the script. ... Looking at man slrn you could have a .slrnrc_bell and .slrnrc_giga ... it loads /etc/news/slrn.rc and then loads your ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Same Internal Server Error from last two days
    ... I am trying to run a Hello World Perl Script in Apache 2.2. ... But its constantly giving me Internal Server Error.The script ... # have to place corresponding `LoadModule' lines at this location so the ...
    (perl.beginners)