Re: Large binary newreader help please!

From: Jonathan A. (
Date: 05/03/04

Date: 3 May 2004 03:12:18 GMT

On Sun, 02 May 2004 20:14:16 GMT, Ohmster
<> appears to have said:

> Bit Twister <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> wrote in
>> As I read your original post, I thought slrnpull would be
>> consideration for off hour download.
> Doing it now with slrn. OMG, this is brutal. Might have to go back to Windows
> for this job...

If you aren't using the "jwk" patch, slrn will be a pain for big
multipart binaries. If you're comfortable patching and compiling
your own software, look here:

In any event, with millions of headers, any screen or GUI based reader
I can think of is going to require *massive* amounts of memory and CPU
time for threading.

There's an excellent (IMO), low overhead solution, though... nget:

It's a bare bones command line app... it will "pseudo thread" the
multipart articles in a group, do XPAT searches, etc. I imagine it
will still take some horsepower to sort out those millions of headers
though. I would just use XPAT to search for what I want, and forget the
rest of the old stuff. It'll be reposted eventually, anyhow.

One caveat about nget. It's *not* intuitive. You must RTFM. And when
you are done, you must RTFM again. :)

Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:
user: jnthn1                domain: earthlink<dot>net