Re: rc.firewall for linux kernel 2.4.26?

From: Douglas Mayne (doug_at_SLACKWARE-2.localnet)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:59:36 -0600

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:22:03 -0400, Praveen Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently configured my machine with slackware kernel 2.4.26 and I was
> looking for a sample rc.firewall file. My network is following:
>
> public ip address
> local net(192.x.x.x)
> ---ISP----- cable modem--------------------- Linux ----------------Hub (8
> port)
> eth0(dhcp)
> eth1 |
>
> |---------- PC1(MS Windows)
>

> |----------PC2(MS Windows)
>

> |----------- PC3(MS Windows)
>

> On the eth0, i would like to use DHCP and on eth1 I am planning to use
> static IP address. The linux machine is installed with 2 NIC cards. The eth1
> will have static ip address: 192.168.1.1 and same way all the Windows
> machine will have static IP address and static gateway address. I am not
> running DHCP nor DNS locally.
<snip>
Before I start into the meat of this question, does the cable modem
already provide NAT? Also, from your diagram the cable modem is a dhcp
server, right?

I have been studying "Rusty's Really Quick Guide:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO-5.html

I think I could add extensions for a simple router, but I'll wait for your
reply.

--
Sir, we think it should be a calico kitten...
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120885/quotes

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Really Need Network Help!
    ... AirPort went hooey and some Macs (there are six on the defunct network ... It's connected to the cable modem via an Ethernet cable. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Really Need Network Help!
    ... AirPort went hooey and some Macs (there are six on the defunct network ... It's connected to the cable modem via an Ethernet cable. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Is onboard NIC kaput? (ipconfig output: Unable to query host name.)
    ... Are you connected through a cable modem to the internet? ... If the modem is good, unplug your network cable, boot into BIOS, and disable ... Save changes and exit and boot into Windows. ... I also reset the WINSOCK entries to installation defaults using "netsh ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Really Need Network Help!
    ... AirPort went hooey and some Macs (there are six on the defunct network ... It's connected to the cable modem via an Ethernet cable. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Questions about 192.168
    ... show up in my arp cache after doing this. ... cable modem directly, it did show up in my arp cache. ... I recently checked my firewall (Network ICE), and noticed an attack ...
    (Security-Basics)