Re: rc.firewall for linux kernel 2.4.26?

From: Douglas Mayne (doug_at_SLACKWARE-2.localnet)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:59:36 -0600

On Thu, 06 May 2004 21:22:03 -0400, Praveen Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently configured my machine with slackware kernel 2.4.26 and I was
> looking for a sample rc.firewall file. My network is following:
>
> public ip address
> local net(192.x.x.x)
> ---ISP----- cable modem--------------------- Linux ----------------Hub (8
> port)
> eth0(dhcp)
> eth1 |
>
> |---------- PC1(MS Windows)
>

> |----------PC2(MS Windows)
>

> |----------- PC3(MS Windows)
>

> On the eth0, i would like to use DHCP and on eth1 I am planning to use
> static IP address. The linux machine is installed with 2 NIC cards. The eth1
> will have static ip address: 192.168.1.1 and same way all the Windows
> machine will have static IP address and static gateway address. I am not
> running DHCP nor DNS locally.
<snip>
Before I start into the meat of this question, does the cable modem
already provide NAT? Also, from your diagram the cable modem is a dhcp
server, right?

I have been studying "Rusty's Really Quick Guide:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO-5.html

I think I could add extensions for a simple router, but I'll wait for your
reply.

--
Sir, we think it should be a calico kitten...
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120885/quotes