Re: strange problem connecting 2 linux boxes

From: Alex Harsch (infodude_at_gmx.de)
Date: 05/14/04

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:52:24 +0200

Sting wrote:

> Hello,
> - Last week I had posted here a
> strange problem I had connecting 2 linux boxes.
> I had done some more tests and I am quite in despair.
> please help!
>
> - I had tried to conenct 2 Linux boxes directly.
> I did it with a cross cable connecting directly
> one nic to the other nic.
> (also tried all my tests with non-cross cable,
> but AFAIK it should be with cross cable).
>
> Clifford Kite asked about that cable: it is a brand new cable
> that I bought, and testd today on other machines, and
> it's OK.
>
> For this I set the address of one of them to
> 192.168.0.2
> subnet: 255.255.255.0
>
> the other is
> 192.168.0.1
> subnet: 255.255.255.0
>

> Now I can't ping from 192.168.0.2
> to 192.168.0.1.
>
> I tried to remove the GW declaration from
> 192.168.0.2 (the gw was 192.168.0.254 , and
> in this connection both of them were not conneced to
> 192.168.0.254).
> I also tried, on 192.168.0.2 ,to set the gw to itself,
> namely 192.168.0.2 but it did not help.
>
> what adds to this strangeness is , that when
> I took the 192.168.0.1 and connected it to a different
> machine with the same non-corss cable - I could ping it!!
>

> Now , I had done another test:
> connecting them through a hub, with 2 non cross
> cables. And again - no ping.
>
> I know for sure that these cables are OK,
> because immedaitely afterwards
> I connected them to a cable modem and they were OK
> (I am currently posting this message using one of them ...
> were it not OK you could not read this post...).
>
> Clifford asked about some data:
> the output of route from 192.168.0.2:
>
> routing table at work
> Kernel IP routing table
>
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
> Iface
> 192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0
> eth0
> 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0
> eth0
> 127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
> default 192.168.0.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0
> eth0
>

> ifconfig of 192.168.0.2 gives:
> ifconfig
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:61:10:B8:AC
> inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:661 txqueuelen:100
> RX bytes:912643 (891.2 Kb) TX bytes:2277008 (2.1 Mb)
> Interrupt:11 Base address:0x9000
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
>
> what can it be ?
> please help !
>
> regards,
> sting
Hi,

first of all, routes and gateways don't play a role in this case.
Can both machines ping themselfs? Can both machines ping 127.0.0.1.
Is the firewall acrivated (post iptables-save)? Use the cable you use to
connect your modem. This is a cross link, and you can plug it in directly
in both machines, without a hub.

Alex

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Network Reinstallation
    ... Small book on home improvement electricity from you library ... "RJ-45 jack connectors" is my guess. ... and run flex cables with plugs from the jacks to the device you are ... connecting to. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Does HDMI Really Work with the SA8300HD?
    ... Panasonic TH-50PX60U when connected with HDMI. ... switching HDMI cables from the dvd. ... definition channel to a HD channel, sometimes the display flashes a black ... monopriceand tried connecting to both of the input ports. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • strange problem connecting 2 linux boxes
    ... strange problem I had connecting 2 linux boxes. ... - I had tried to conenct 2 Linux boxes directly. ... I know for sure that these cables are OK, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: 1RU server issues
    ... > the MB to connect the IDE cables to the 3Ware card once the cables are ... I'll assume you tried connecting the cables before installing the card. ... Would removing the top strain relief from the IDE connectors give you ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Network Reinstallation
    ... Small book on home improvement electricity from you library ... and run flex cables with plugs from the jacks to the device you are ... connecting to. ...
    (alt.home.repair)