Re: Virtual Domain and host info in http request

From: Ohmster (donteven_at_thinkaboutit.com)
Date: 05/31/04

Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:21:41 GMT

Jeff Breitner <usenet@rudn.com> wrote in
news:10bmvc7c9tntd85@corp.supernews.com:

> Did you see the http.conf I posted which does _exactly_ what you want to
> do? I took it from my archive CD from when I ran a web hosting company.

Yes, but it is line wrapping pretty badly here and I am afraid to try it. Can
you please zip this file and send it to my email or give me a link to this
file so that I can "download it fresh", Jeff?

> Make it simple; create an index.html page that displays "hello world,
> this is virtual domain <domain name here". That's it. No images,
> nothing.
>
> Why? Because if it works on the initial GET request of / or index.html,
> then you'll know it's working.

I did this. I created a simple, plain html page with text on it showing the
destination that I have reached. I did not enable this for the capture,
though. Perhaps this is a good idea, then http GET would not be able to fetch
any gif images or anything else but request the index.html document. Good
idea.

> Forget about all of this stuff.

Sounds good to me. :)

> You are correct. With name-based hosting, if the client doesn't spit up
> "Host: www.somedomain.com", then they're going to get the root site (if
> it's configured at all). This was one of the obstacles for web hosting
> companies because they had customers complaining that so-and-so couldn't
> see their site and that's because they were still running some
> antiquated browser.

Roger.

> It is possible, though very unlikely, that your ISP has a bad
> transparent proxy or some cache or some dns problem. But I doubt that
> is the problem.

Hmmmm...

> My way of approaching this problem would be:
>
> 1. Create the simple index.html page on the server in question that is
> something like <html>
> <head>
> <title>Title for www.virtualdomain.com
> </title>
> </head>
> www.virtualdomain.com
>
> 2. Forget trying to birddog this through your isp. Log into the
> server, telnet to the IP:80 and start pretending you're a browser (cut
> and paste from notepad or pico or whatever you're using is helpful) and
> see what responses you get.

I do not have telnet enabled on my redhat machine, I use ssh. Can I do it
this way or do I have to enable telent for this?

> If the responses are not right, then it's pretty clear it's an Apache
> config problem. If they are right, then you know to look somewhere
> else.
>
> I suspect there's something amiss in your Apache config.

I don't think so... I used a "fresh rpmnew" one for the test but at this
point, anything is possible. I like this simple index with destination test
idea, turning on the virtual hosts, running ethereal to caputure, telnetting
in and seeing what happens.

Uhm, how exactly does one "pretend to be a browser" with telnet? I can telnet
to port 80 for sure but what would I to to present myself as a browser to see
what is going on? And will ssh not work for this (probably not)?

Waiting on your reply, this is killing my holiday.

Thank you Jeff.

--
My email address is invalid, thanks to
all of these rotten spambots.