Re: Newbie help - DHCP

From: Gerard Wassink (DontWant_at_SP_aM.nl)
Date: 07/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:08:41 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:07:43 +0000 (UTC), Randy Sparks wrote:

> I'm a networking newbie although have administrated various networks in the
> past, so know the terminology.
>
> If I want to set up a DHCP network under Linux, I presume I have to assign
> the Ethernet port a localhost-style address (ie 192.168.1.1) and then
> assign addresses above this to the DHCP lease range?
>
> I then plug this machine into a hub with the rest of the machines and they
> somehow sniff out the DHCP machine when they boot and ask for an address...
> right?
>
> Might sound obvious to you but most tutorials assume you already know this
> bit and go into detail on all the rest of the setting up stuff.
>
> ... and if I want to turn this into an Internet router, I can add a second
> network card, plug that into a WAN router (ie a cable modem box), and share
> the connection...? What configuration in Linux is necessary to let this
> happen?

Smoothwall is a fine Linux distribution that is perfectly suited for your
goal, that is, if you have an old machine laying around somewehere. It will
then act as a stand alone firewall between the RED zone (the internet) and
the GREEN zone (your then protected network).

In my setup, I wired the GREEN nic to a hub.

Given a third nic, you also have the option to implement a DMZ.

Apart from the DHCP server, the system also has an intrusion detection
system, a web proxy, a caching dns, port forwarding possibilities,
etcetera.

Best of all: it's freeware!

Have a look at their website: http://www.smoothwall.org

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Gerard Wassink           http://linux.family.filternet.nl

Relevant Pages

  • Re: setting computer name
    ... If your network interfaces use DHCP, you can configure the DHCP server ... > however it did not have 'multi on', which I saw as being needed according to the Linux how-to help guides. ... > on how to install gcc 2.95.3 on Linux. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Terrible Web Surfing Speed
    ... >> is that i used a router and set it up for PPPOE. ... they are using DHCP and thus receive new network configuration changes, ... Linux isn't broke but it also didn't change. ... Sorta the purpose of using DHCP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Live USB linux in Windows network caused problem
    ... I had been running Puppy ... Linux on one of the computers in the network for a few weeks, ... caused serious problems on their network. ... manually use DHCP to connect in Puppy Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: F7 Help with DHCP
    ... it seems silly to use DHCP and not provide DNS server addresses as all ... is not running on my home network, all IP's should be very well known ... > it gets a IP number from my Linux DHCP server. ... > stated that only Windows is supported. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)