Re: Newbie help - DHCP

From: Gerard Wassink (DontWant_at_SP_aM.nl)
Date: 07/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:08:41 +0200

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:07:43 +0000 (UTC), Randy Sparks wrote:

> I'm a networking newbie although have administrated various networks in the
> past, so know the terminology.
>
> If I want to set up a DHCP network under Linux, I presume I have to assign
> the Ethernet port a localhost-style address (ie 192.168.1.1) and then
> assign addresses above this to the DHCP lease range?
>
> I then plug this machine into a hub with the rest of the machines and they
> somehow sniff out the DHCP machine when they boot and ask for an address...
> right?
>
> Might sound obvious to you but most tutorials assume you already know this
> bit and go into detail on all the rest of the setting up stuff.
>
> ... and if I want to turn this into an Internet router, I can add a second
> network card, plug that into a WAN router (ie a cable modem box), and share
> the connection...? What configuration in Linux is necessary to let this
> happen?

Smoothwall is a fine Linux distribution that is perfectly suited for your
goal, that is, if you have an old machine laying around somewehere. It will
then act as a stand alone firewall between the RED zone (the internet) and
the GREEN zone (your then protected network).

In my setup, I wired the GREEN nic to a hub.

Given a third nic, you also have the option to implement a DMZ.

Apart from the DHCP server, the system also has an intrusion detection
system, a web proxy, a caching dns, port forwarding possibilities,
etcetera.

Best of all: it's freeware!

Have a look at their website: http://www.smoothwall.org

--