Re: problem connecting kernel linux with earthlink DSL

From: ZaK (newoxygenlife_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/01/04

Date: 1 Aug 2004 14:26:36 -0700

newoxygenlife@yahoo.com (ZaK) wrote in message news:<4ed341cf.0407291534.14abf456@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
> be ethX, where 'X' is a number.(default eth0):
>
> I went for default(eth0) here as well.
> 4)Do you want the link to come up on demand, or stay up continuously?
> For your link to stay up permanently, enter 'no'
> NOTE: Demand activated links do not interact well with dynamic IP
> addresses. You may have some problems with demand activated links.
> Enter the demand value(default no):
>
> I went for default here too. I don't have dynamic IP address(which is
> extra $15). Therefore, I chose 'no' .
> 5)DNS
> Please enter the IP address of your ISP's primary DNS server. If your
> ISP claims that 'the server will provide dynamic DNS addresse', enter
> 'server' (all lower-case) here. if you just press enter, I will assume
> you know what you are doing and not modify you DNS setup.
> Enter the DNS information here:205.65.186.182 <- this is not the real
> IP though, I used here only example.
> Please enter the IP address ......for secondary
> DNS:205.65.186.183<-again this is an example.
>
> Please note that i tried both ways; typing 'server' and also typing
> the DNS IP address(I had to call my ISP and get this IP address).
> 6)PASSWORD
>
> Please enter your password:
>
> I entered the password for my e-mail address.
>
> Please re-enter your password:
>
> Entered again.
> 7)USERCTRL
> Please enter 'yes'(twho letters, lower case) if you want to allow
> normal user to start or stop DSL connection:
>
> I chose 'yes'
> 8)Firewalling
>
> 0- no firewall
> 1- standalone
> 2- masquerade
>
> I chose here 0 for my own reason. But I think it's changeable later
> on.
> 9)Start this connection at boot time
>
> Do you want to start this conection at boot time? Please enter no or
> yes:
>
> I chose 'no'
> 10)Here is the summary of what I have entered:
>
> Ethernet interface: eth0
> User name : newoxygenlife
> Activate on demand: No
> Primary DNS : 205.65.186.182
> Secondary DNS : 205.65.186.183
> Firewalling : None
> User control : yes
>
> Accept this setting and adjust config(y/n)?
>
> I pressed 'y'.
>
> Then I typed 'adsl-start' , after may be 15-20 seconds, here is the
> output:
>

> '/sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 5564 terminated $connect "$@"
> >/dev/nu
> 11 2>&1
>

> The above line has been very frustrating for last several days. I
> checked my cable, switched different cable too, no luck so far. But
> one thing I have noticed, in each session each time I try to start
> ADSL, the number after 217: (which is here 5564) keeps going up.
>
> I have been feeling very helpless on this issue. Any type of help

Aug 1'04

Hello Clifford

First of all thank you for your kind response to my problem. At the
same time I would admit my stupidity on 'dynamic' and 'static' IP
addresses. Even though I know the difference, but I guess I blanked
out at that time. Yes, you are correct on what you had thought as
'static' address should be $15 more than the dynamic address. I'm
sorry for making it confusing. As you have guessed that I hand copied
the 'adsl-start' and 'adsl-setup' scripts, you are correct on that as
well. As far as typos, I would say English is not my first language
and I'm new with linux too(eagerly want to learn though). So, I
apologise for the confusion.

Besides, in places where you saw "......." inside my scripts, I just
omitted few words there thinking those would not be needed with the
context.
My problem I have been facing still remains. What should I do now? As
you indicated that '/dev/nu11' is really bad, what should I do on this
regard?

Thanks again for your kind help.

Zak

Relevant Pages

  • problem connecting kernel linux with earthlink DSL
    ... I have been trying to connect my linux box with my earthlink DSL. ... I chose the default which is ppp0 ... Demand activated links do not interact well with dynamic IP ... Please enter the IP address of your ISP's primary DNS server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: /sbin/adsl-start: line 217: 5564 terminated $connect "$@" >/dev/nu 11 2>
    ... I have been trying to connect my linux box with my earthlink DSL. ... I chose the default which is ppp0 ... Demand activated links do not interact well with dynamic IP ... Please enter the IP address of your ISP's primary DNS server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Can a bad Etherlink card effect browser ability to access the net?
    ... Primary DNS and Secondary DNS IP ... While I can't access the Internet via my DSL ... Try repairing the connection (contl panel-network ... DNS servers or some other problem. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Configuring DHCP
    ... There is a lot to be done before you get to DNS forwarding. ... You really need a DSL NAT device with a builtin DSL modem to act as your Internet connection device. ... If what you have is a NAT device, you need to disable its DHCP function and run DHCP from your server for the LAN machines and configure it as described previously. ... When the client needs the IP address of a public URL it sends the request to the local DNS server. ...
  • Re: Can a bad Etherlink card effect browser ability to access the net?
    ... Secondary DNS IP addresses. ... While I can't access the Internet via my DSL ... Try repairing the connection (contl panel-network ... DHCP and not a fixed IP. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)