Re: Two problems with Samba on Suse 9.1 and Windows 98 (reposted)

From: Stefan Viljoen (rylan_at_-deletethis-intekom.co.za)
Date: 08/05/04

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:45:52 +0200

A. Naim wrote:

> thHi,
>
> I have two problems with a setup that includes two Win98 machines and
> one running SuSE 9.1 Personal. One of the Win98 machines has a
> networked Canon
> printer attached to it.
>
> problem 1: trying to print from Linux to the networked printer. From
> what I have read so far it seems that I need to install the Samba
> server on the Linux box, in addition to the existing Samba client.
> However, under YaST I can only find a "Samba Client". Isn't the server
> included with this distribution? do I need to download it from
> samba.org? Is it a separate download?

As far as I know Samba (which implements a peer-to-peer server message block
protocol - SaMBa) is, as I say here, peer-to-peer. That means there is no
"server" as such - you just get Samba, and this can both send (appearing as
a "server" to a peer) files on request from a peer, and receive them after
requesting them (i. e. being a "client" itself). So to answer your question
IMHO the "client" IS the server. As for getting the printer going I myself
have absolutely no idea.

> problem 2: while I can see and read from my windows shares, and can
> even overwrite existing files there from the Linux machine, I can not
> create new files there. I checked the "sharing" menu option on the
> Win98 machine but can see nothing special to allow or disallow the
> creation of new files. Access on my shares is defined as "password
> dependent" (in Win terms). If I change it to "full access" I actually
> lose some privileges. How to I widen my privileges to include file
> creation n the share? On the linux side the permission of the mounted
> share is rwxrwxr-x, but I can not change it from the Linux side.

I have RedHat 9, and on my Windows machines the setting is also password
independant. How is your Samba configured? Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]

netbios name = stefan
workgroup = GOEDEHOOP10
security = share
log file = /var/log/samba.log
log level = 1
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
wins support = yes
domain logons = no
logon drive = f:
logon home = \\stefan\%U
os level = 99
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
hosts allow = 169.254.255.10 169.254.255.11 169.254.255.20 169.254.255.30
127.0.0.1
encrypt passwords = yes
browseable = yes
lanman auth = yes
lm announce = yes

[stefanhd]
path = /mnt/win/
guest ok = yes
writeable = yes
create mode = 0666
directory mode = 0777
browseable = yes
public = yes

If you try to make yours similar (especially the hosts allow line) you
should already be on the way to getting it working. But apparently your
hosts allow is already fixed? Then, I mount the Windows 98 share like this:

smbmount "//yzellepc/yzellehd" /mnt/yrekenaar -o
username=windows_user,password=full_access_password,uid=rylan,dmask=0775,fmask=0775

Where

//yzellepc/yzellehd = the Windows share name on the Win98 system, which you
can glean with "findsmb"

/mnt/yrekenaar = the mount point in your /mnt directory

windows_user = the name the user types when starting up Win98

password = the password you refer to in your post

uid = the name of the user you want to give file creation and full
read-and-write access on the Win machine

Dmask and fmask are also important. I do not know exactly what the values
mean, but using them, along with the given smb.conf and smbmount line,
gives me full read/write/file creation access on my Windows 98 from within
Linux on my RedHat 9 box.

--
---
Stefan Viljoen

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New to Fedora, [SOLVED] Network Issues.
    ... I disabled selinux and now everything works, ... I have just installed fedora 11 but have been a linux users for several ... I configured Samba to share a backup disk to everyone using the Samba ... Server Configuration tool GUI. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
    ... > Do folks actually use Samba for Linux-only networks? ... One of the Linux ... > hosts is also a J2EE server, and I don't want it to incure extra Samba ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] SAMBA.
    ... Stumbled across this about SAMBA authentication and windows ... authentication separate from the general linux authentication (I don't ... This is really the worst parts of setting up a home server. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux
    ... >> What Samba does in Linux. ... >Samba is just an application. ... which gives you access to Samba server ... NFS predates SMB by quite a few years. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: "Torn between two OS" - Solaris vs Linux
    ... >> What Samba does in Linux. ... >Samba is just an application. ... which gives you access to Samba server ... NFS predates SMB by quite a few years. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)