Re: router LED active when machine is off?

From: Franklin M. Siler (fsiler_at_NOSPAMuiuc.edu)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:09:55 -0500

Larry Gagnon wrote:
> I have just set-up a 2 computer home network, using a D-Link DI-604
> Ethernet Router, one box is a WinXP box and then there is my Linux box,
> Mandrake 9.2 on an Abit NF7-S motherboard. Funny thing is if the WinXP box
> is hibernated or turned off the router link light for that port goes off
> as expected. However, my Linux box port LED light stays on even if Linux
> is down and the machine is off. The LED on the router only goes off if I
> turn off the computer at the power supply switch. Any ideas why?

many network cards leach off the standby power and maintain a link. You
almost certainly have the capability to Wake on LAN if you want, but you
might have to turn it on in the BIOS or something (never messed with it
myself).

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/

--
Franklin M. Siler    UIUC: Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering
Marching Illini Trumpets,  Basketball Band Staff,  ACM SigMation