Re: router LED active when machine is off?

From: Franklin M. Siler (fsiler_at_NOSPAMuiuc.edu)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:09:55 -0500

Larry Gagnon wrote:
> I have just set-up a 2 computer home network, using a D-Link DI-604
> Ethernet Router, one box is a WinXP box and then there is my Linux box,
> Mandrake 9.2 on an Abit NF7-S motherboard. Funny thing is if the WinXP box
> is hibernated or turned off the router link light for that port goes off
> as expected. However, my Linux box port LED light stays on even if Linux
> is down and the machine is off. The LED on the router only goes off if I
> turn off the computer at the power supply switch. Any ideas why?

many network cards leach off the standby power and maintain a link. You
almost certainly have the capability to Wake on LAN if you want, but you
might have to turn it on in the BIOS or something (never messed with it
myself).

http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/

--
Franklin M. Siler    UIUC: Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering
Marching Illini Trumpets,  Basketball Band Staff,  ACM SigMation

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Confusing gateway/FW project - need help bad!
    ... ...all boxes have internet as well as intranet access. ... address" setting in the router enabled but disable DHCP on the LAN. ... I was going to change it over to Linux eventually anyhow, ... I have eth1 removed from the box as I figured I'd get eth0 ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Networking problems (again) tough one
    ... The problem *only* occurs on my Linux machines. ... DNS numbers, ... all systems start working again whether setup manually or with DHCP. ... If theu are shoing good, and yet things dont work, you may have a misconfigured router. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: uCLinux on Samsung S3C4510B (ARM7TDMI) based wireless router
    ... serial port or printer port, ... linux or further. ... > router, access point and print server, all at the same time, preferably ... > and openap-ng) options as well as uCLinux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)
  • Re: 56k dial up on laptop 802.11G ?
    ... >>> Linux firewall is not a firewall... ... NAT router? ... traffic can be set like it can be set for packet filtering like they can be ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Comcast & Routing
    ... You want to use a router with a built-in hub/switch. ... > web from the Windoze box (all my email etc. will go to the Linux box). ... experiment with setting up and running a proxy server. ... Comcast network need their own IP address. ...
    (RedHat)