Re: Firewalling?

From: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez (jkerouac_at_bgsec.com)
Date: 08/24/04

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:00:29 +0200

Richard Cavell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Debian installation. I prefer to use the command line. I'm
> trying to log into one machine using ssh on another. The problem is
> that the appropriate port is closed. How do I 'open' it?

If you have administrative access to the machine where the port is
closed then you just have to change the rule that it's not letting
you log into the machine. If you don't have it then it's impossible
to open the port without using hacking techniques, and I'm not talking
about script kiddies techniques...

> What would be a good piece of software to update graphically in KDE in
> realtime when ports are being accessed?

You can take a look at ntop, it has a nice web interface.
Or you can use a konsole with lsof -i -r 1, it's what I use
when I want to have a look at the connections in an easy way.

--
Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why wouldnt I do this with iptables?
    ... > maybe an ssh port and a mysql port? ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Port numbers???
    ... > Does anyone know the port numbers used in internet radio???? ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Tool to find hidden web proxy server
    ... If you are portscanning to find proxies don't forget port 3128 as ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ... Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)
    ... > I would like to generate traffic with 'hping2' for both Routers on WAN ... > port side and let the traffic should switch to LAN ports, ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Monitoring software question
    ... tells port and protocol connected to and what local pc did ... bgSEC Seguridad y Consultoria de Sistemas Informaticos ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)