Re: VNC and NAT and firewall

From: Alex Yung (alyung_at_lucent.com)
Date: 08/27/04

Date: 26 Aug 2004 22:35:04 GMT

Ole Jacob Taraldset (ojt@spam-spam-egg-and-spam-gexcon.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: Is there any magick that can enable me to access,through VNC or similar, a
: Windows machine which is on a private network (NAT) and behind a couple of
: firewalls from a Linux machine which also is NATed and behind a firewall?

: What I'm thinking is that IMs like ICQ, AIM etc does something like this
: because you go through a 3rd server. Is there any solution that would
: enable this for VNC? Any other magick that could fix this? It's not
: possible to open ports on the firewall as that would be against company
: policy.

: Regards,
: Ole Jacob

: --
: PGP key : <http://home.broadpark.no/~ojtarald/pgp.txt>
: ICQ 5366306 | Jabber ojt@jabber.org | AIM ojtaraldset
: Yahoo ojtaraldset | MSN ojt@gexcon.com

If your firewall allows ssh, you can do port forwarding via ssh. Take
a look at VNC over ssh.

Relevant Pages

  • VNC and NAT and firewall
    ... Windows machine which is on a private network and behind a couple of ... firewalls from a Linux machine which also is NATed and behind a firewall? ... enable this for VNC? ... Any other magick that could fix this? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Firewall for broadband connection
    ... A personal firewall application that runs on your computer will often be ... it clearly needs user intervention to apply updates. ... IP address, then VNC is a simple way to do ... I install VNC, even in a protected network, I always change the port ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Is someone watching my computer?
    ... I assume there are VNC type applications and keyboard ... and keyloggers don't even make a drop in the bucket. ... running an actual external firewall with logging functions that is not at ... port communicating out to a specified address at fairly ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: iptable
    ... Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT) ... Fedora 20, and to get vnc working with the firewall, I've found that just putting ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: VNC client/server combo doing VNC over HTTP
    ... Both Ultra@VNC and RealVNC Personal Edition offer a version that allows access through a web browser on the client side, specifically to be more firewall-friendly; what are they doing if they are not putting VNC over HTTP? ... Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it right away, but I don't expect it to work as I expect I'll find the firewall is not configured to allow SSH going out of the network to the internet any more than it would allow incoming SSH ... 2000 and comms between the two can be HTTP or better HTTPS over ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)