Re: VNC and NAT and firewall

From: Alex Yung (alyung_at_lucent.com)
Date: 08/27/04

Date: 26 Aug 2004 22:35:04 GMT

Ole Jacob Taraldset (ojt@spam-spam-egg-and-spam-gexcon.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: Is there any magick that can enable me to access,through VNC or similar, a
: Windows machine which is on a private network (NAT) and behind a couple of
: firewalls from a Linux machine which also is NATed and behind a firewall?

: What I'm thinking is that IMs like ICQ, AIM etc does something like this
: because you go through a 3rd server. Is there any solution that would
: enable this for VNC? Any other magick that could fix this? It's not
: possible to open ports on the firewall as that would be against company
: policy.

: Regards,
: Ole Jacob

: --
: PGP key : <http://home.broadpark.no/~ojtarald/pgp.txt>
: ICQ 5366306 | Jabber ojt@jabber.org | AIM ojtaraldset
: Yahoo ojtaraldset | MSN ojt@gexcon.com

If your firewall allows ssh, you can do port forwarding via ssh. Take
a look at VNC over ssh.