Re: VNC and NAT and firewall

From: Alex Yung (alyung_at_lucent.com)
Date: 08/27/04

Date: 26 Aug 2004 22:35:04 GMT

Ole Jacob Taraldset (ojt@spam-spam-egg-and-spam-gexcon.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: Is there any magick that can enable me to access,through VNC or similar, a
: Windows machine which is on a private network (NAT) and behind a couple of
: firewalls from a Linux machine which also is NATed and behind a firewall?

: What I'm thinking is that IMs like ICQ, AIM etc does something like this
: because you go through a 3rd server. Is there any solution that would
: enable this for VNC? Any other magick that could fix this? It's not
: possible to open ports on the firewall as that would be against company
: policy.

: Regards,
: Ole Jacob

: --
: PGP key : <http://home.broadpark.no/~ojtarald/pgp.txt>
: ICQ 5366306 | Jabber ojt@jabber.org | AIM ojtaraldset
: Yahoo ojtaraldset | MSN ojt@gexcon.com

If your firewall allows ssh, you can do port forwarding via ssh. Take
a look at VNC over ssh.

Relevant Pages

  • VNC and NAT and firewall
    ... Windows machine which is on a private network and behind a couple of ... firewalls from a Linux machine which also is NATed and behind a firewall? ... enable this for VNC? ... Any other magick that could fix this? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Firewall for broadband connection
    ... A personal firewall application that runs on your computer will often be ... it clearly needs user intervention to apply updates. ... IP address, then VNC is a simple way to do ... I install VNC, even in a protected network, I always change the port ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Is someone watching my computer?
    ... I assume there are VNC type applications and keyboard ... and keyloggers don't even make a drop in the bucket. ... running an actual external firewall with logging functions that is not at ... port communicating out to a specified address at fairly ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: iptable
    ... Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT) ... Fedora 20, and to get vnc working with the firewall, I've found that just putting ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Remote Desktops
    ... > use X over ssh. ... You won't have a remote desktop either. ... > used this more than VNC or remote desktops. ... It's fine for accessing the Windows machine from ...
    (RedHat)