Re: [OSOT] Distinction between Network Admin and System Admin

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 09/13/04

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:35:06 GMT

jab3 wrote:

> It seems _to me_ that most of his questions were geared more toward
> Network Administration functions, which I would think - having 2 Network
> Admins - they had covered.  To me, if you are going to split the jobs (2
> Net, 2 Sys), a Network Admin would deal with the DNS, MTA, Firewalling,
> NFS, Samba, etc; and the SysAdmin would deal with the updates, patches,
> tweaking, maintaining, configuring, installing, monitoring, etc.  Am I way
> off in my callowness and ignorance on this?  Or was he interviewing me for
> a Network Admin job instead of a SysAdmin job?
>
> I am indeed asking with full knowledge that I have no first-hand knowledge
> of this :).   I'm just trying to explain how I see it, based on my reading
> and personal experience - and am asking for correction and elucidation
> from the experts. :)  Is networking so prevalent these days that the line
> between the two jobs has been blurred into an indistinguishable haze?

Much of what you consider netowork admin are server related. For example,
why would a network guy be worried about Samba or MTA? And anyone setting
up a server, had better know about firewalls etc. It looks like you're
going to have to learn a bit more about what the position entails.

--
(This space intentionally left blank)