Re: SMTP Problem

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:41:00 GMT

Bo Grimes <usenet@isp.com> wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2004 10:51:37 GMT, Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net>
> wrote:

> > On 2004-09-21, Bo Grimes <usenet@isp.com> wrote:
> >> What makes you think it's my ISP's problem when their
> >> port 25 is open and mine is shut?
> >
> > If you want to debug a problem you have to isolate one possible cause
> > at a time and check it. If you don't start from one side, you'll never
> > know. Unless you have a crystal ball of course. Mine, the batteries are
> > low.

> Which is what I spent a lot of time doing, trying to isolate the cause,
> reading man pages and nmaping ports. All of this was in that rambling story
> if you had bothered reading it.

That is not debugging. Debugging consists of looking. You identified a
port 25 on your machine as closed (irrelevant though that is), so you
next have to look at why it is closed (if it interests you). It may
be that there is no daemon listening there, or it may be that you have
blocked that port via a firewall or tcp wrappers. Look at your firewall
rules and hosts.allow/.deny, etc.

You did none of that.

Peter