Re: SMTP Problem

From: P.T. Breuer (ptb_at_oboe.it.uc3m.es)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:41:00 GMT

Bo Grimes <usenet@isp.com> wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2004 10:51:37 GMT, Davide Bianchi <davideyeahsure@onlyforfun.net>
> wrote:

> > On 2004-09-21, Bo Grimes <usenet@isp.com> wrote:
> >> What makes you think it's my ISP's problem when their
> >> port 25 is open and mine is shut?
> >
> > If you want to debug a problem you have to isolate one possible cause
> > at a time and check it. If you don't start from one side, you'll never
> > know. Unless you have a crystal ball of course. Mine, the batteries are
> > low.

> Which is what I spent a lot of time doing, trying to isolate the cause,
> reading man pages and nmaping ports. All of this was in that rambling story
> if you had bothered reading it.

That is not debugging. Debugging consists of looking. You identified a
port 25 on your machine as closed (irrelevant though that is), so you
next have to look at why it is closed (if it interests you). It may
be that there is no daemon listening there, or it may be that you have
blocked that port via a firewall or tcp wrappers. Look at your firewall
rules and hosts.allow/.deny, etc.

You did none of that.

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: keeping ports open
    ... If a port is open, it means that 1) a software or service is running on your ... and 2) you're not using a firewall or your firewall isn't ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... ISA Server prevents connection to a remote desktop when you connect through ... Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer ... Acceleration Server as a firewall. ... connection uses TCP port 4125. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... >> server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... > before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... > program or executable using that port. ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)