Re: Open-source software like "mimic"

From: Karl Lowth (karl_at_lowth.com)
Date: 09/27/04

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:09:07 GMT

"blinky" <blinky@NOSPAM.Com> wrote in message
news:cj8m22$rtl$1@new-usenet.uk.sun.com...
> Karl Lowth wrote:
> > Does anyone know of an open-source (ideally: Linux) software that
performs
> > functions similar to "Mimic" - in other words, able to simulate multiple
> > networking "boxes" (routers, switches etc) on a single platform to allow
> > development and/or testing of network managment applications against a
> > "pseudo-network" of devices.
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> User Mode Linux, run several virtual linux OS's within Linux.

Blinky, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is certainly one possibility that I have looked at, but it doesnt
go far enough as a solution.

The main thing that "mimic" does for you is to allow a mibwalk snapshot
taken from all the devices on a network to be "replayed" away from the
original network by a special SNMP agent on a linux machine, and to do this
for large numbers of devices. My problem isnt so much making my linux box
pretend to be multiple linux boxes (which could be done exactly as you
suggest or through setting up multiple address on a NIC and associating
responders with them [as per Peter's suggestion]), but I would like it to
simulate the specific 20+ routers, 20+ switches and 40 web servers, some
hubs and printers from a "laboratory" network so I can develop SNMP software
against that network when I am at home and dont have access to it.

I have been told by collegues that there is a GPL project that does exactly
this, but they cant remember it's name.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: LONWorks vs. Ethernet
    ... >Linux PC, which also sends signals back to open and close the relays. ... >and how much the chips, transceivers, and external components cost ... >it's far too sensitive to wiring imperfections, and the network ... The AVR is a far superior device to the Neuron chip as far performance ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: OT: Computer stuff
    ... running five home computers and admin nine more at the local library). ... I know for a fact that there is an anti-virus program available for Linux. ... It says it does not support power management under SMP as the kernel loads. ... I have taught Network+, and A+. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Anyone Networking there ?
    ... Could anyone out there help me getting my network to run. ... I am new to Linux and NOT a troll!!! ... it runs in a dual boot with an old Windows and my Windows ... Now add your users to Samba. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: setting computer name
    ... If your network interfaces use DHCP, you can configure the DHCP server ... > however it did not have 'multi on', which I saw as being needed according to the Linux how-to help guides. ... > on how to install gcc 2.95.3 on Linux. ...
    (Fedora)