Re: Can linux box have two host names / 2 ip addresses

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 10/02/04

Date: 1 Oct 2004 22:59:59 GMT

James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> writes:

]Richard TU wrote:

]> Here is my problem:
]> I have two linux boxes, each with its own IP and hostname. Now I want to
]> combine these two into one linux box, but still keep the two sets of IP
]> addresses and hostnames. For example, when I go to the web page both
]> hostnames should lead me to the linux box. Is this doable?
]>

]Certainly. Just create an alias address, so both IPs work with the one box.
]Don't worry about the host name, as that box won't.

Well, actually IP addresses refer to interfaces. If that one box has only
one interface, then the remote system will get confused-- it will send a
request to IP address 1 and receive a response from IP address 2.

Names are easy. Just have both names point to the same IP address in the
DNS tables of your DNS server (AFAIK they must be on the same subnet for this to
work. Ie you cannot have string.physics.ubc.ca and organ.phys.mcmaster.ca
point tothe same IP since the mcmaster.ca domain is a different subnet than
ubc.ca) If you want the same interface (ie that one ethernet card) to have
different IP address, that is I believe more difficult. You could use
proxyarp I guess to have the one machine be the proxyarp to the other IP.
But you would still have trouble on the ip of the outbound packets.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re: Deploring *nix Philosophy
    ... > you could set it so users could open and close the ppp interface at will. ... > initially invest in a fedora bible of sorts. ... > bring the complexity or power of the OS down to the level of a windows ... > sure that bringing Linux down to the level of windows home setup just to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Stategy for (Large?) 16bit COBOL code conversion to Net Express
    ... Express and Visual studio 2005 loaded on a Windows 2003 Terminal server. ... interface from application logic. ... AFTER user interface is separated from business ... Because Linux has a big chunk of the server market. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Ubuntu
    ... Linux didn't and is using it. ... Oh, but wait, wasn't the WIMP interface invented by Xerox at Palo Alto's ... Some people believe that since The GIMP lags behind Photoshop, ... Krita has image layers, group layers, adjustment layers and the innovative ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Multiple subinterfaces per port on a 3745
    ... I am trying to replace a linux router with a cisco 3745 router (IOS ... interface FastEthernet0/1 ... Enter configuration commands, one per line. ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: A really good article on software usability
    ... Linux, from robotics and artificial intelligence to personal portable ... There is a force driving the user interface toward windows and away ... from the CLI, which I think is OK, but the CLI offers much more ... Take the CLI vs gui debate. ...
    (Fedora)