Re: rlogin (I know I know but we have to use it)

From: William B. Cattell (wbcattell1.nospam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/12/04

Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:50:01 GMT

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:04:07 -0700, Binner wrote:

> I have a strange situation with rlogin and a redhat (8.0) linux box
>
> Solaris (2.8) machines on remote subnets can rlogin to the box
>
> Solaris (2.8) machines on the local subnet cannot
>
> Ping work fine between the boxes and the linux box can mount the
> shared NFS disk from the solaris box so I do not think it is a network
> issue
>
> I have tried various combinations of username and host name / FQDN /
> ip address in both /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts but nothing appears
> to work.
>
> I get the following error on the Sun box
>
> Protocol error, (hostname) connection closed
>
> then only thing that appears in the logs is in the secure log
>
> Oct 12 22:55:20 (localhostname) xinetd[888]: START: login pid=1486
> from=(ip address)
>
> Has anyone got any ideas ?
>
> has anyone come accross this before

I've seen similar results when TCPwrappers were installed. Nodes on an
existing subnet could access the system via SSH (in this case) but
machines on a new subnet couldn't.

FWIW,

Bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISC DHCP cant find SUNW info for jumpstart
    ... one Solaris 9 machine, to find it's sysidcfg file correctly. ... using the RARP method to boot these machines for ages. ... server: Sun Fire V240 ... Using DHCP for network configuration information. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: help on network config
    ... As I understand you have three machines of which each is in it's own ... That means that you require a router in each segment to ... email you problem probably lays with routing between each subnet. ... TianJin Meteorological Bureau ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: spud brackets for SATA drives.
    ... unless you run solaris 10 09/05 or something like that. ... I've always been able to just netboot an intel machines ok, ... The sun support people were all using solaris 8 ... The awful attempt at a remote access hardware console on the sun x86 stuff ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: routing, was: Re: <blank subject>
    ... > AND a /28 subnet over a second connection? ... your ISP will route IP traffic for the subnet to you. ... you might want to consider how to have machines on your ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: sendmail on a sol9 workstation?
    ... > Managing Mail Delivery by Using an Alternate Configuration ... I have configured two Redhat machines ... However, from my Solaris machine, it appears to come from ... It appears to not realize the correct local hostname instead of localhost. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)