Re: NIS and KDM login

From: martin (martin.woolley_at_misys.com)
Date: 10/14/04

Date: 14 Oct 2004 00:34:46 -0700

martin.woolley@misys.com (martin) wrote in message news:<b5aabe5c.0410110307.>
> What is the secret to getting KDM to authenticate against NIS?

Well it appears as either nobody knows (or cares) about this.
Anyway in case some other poor bunny comes across this problem,
I solved it by changing the following entry in /etc/ssh/sshd_conf

from: #PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt no

to: #PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt yes

what has ssh to do with kdm? Stuff knows, but obviously there is some
relationaship in FC1. With the "yes" setting graphical login authenticates
against the NIS maps, with the "no" setting it doesn't.

--
Martin Woolley
ICT Support

  • Re: Linux authentication via AD
    ... What I do to integrate with Windows is to use NIS and Samba. ... a way to do this under older AIX) allows people to login authenticating ... authentication is done to the Windows Password Server. ... text passwords authenticate to the Windows Password Server as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: authentication question
    ... NIS has several problems. ... their passwords in the clear. ... in this case, though as when windows clients send encrypted passwords, ... > and have everything else authenticate off that. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Kerberos+LDAP+NIS?
    ... I have setup NIS which authenticate via the Kerberos server. ... >> Now I have created a group in LDAP and I want that only users who is ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Authentication failing for users only in NIS, but succeeds for users in local password file.
    ... I had been using NIS with some success. ... If there's an entry for the user in the local password file, then I am able to authenticate. ... so I believe that the issue lies in the password that is returned to the login process. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: KDM help
    ... On Friday 20 June 2003 20:22, Monah Baki wrote: ... > Is there anyway in kdm to hide all the users on the left hand side, ... Martin ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)