Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible

From: Brian (brian_at_noreturn.com)
Date: 10/16/04

    Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:35:06 +1000

    I'm no linux expert, but I've been in heavy training for a few months and
    found the "Linux Administration Handbook":
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130084662/qid=1097879514/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/002-4941203-6648865

    to be very helpful.

    For more, just checkout amazon. There's plenty of people there ready to tell
    you what to read.

    Brian.

    "Iván Filpo" <caonex@caonex.mine.nu> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much
    > as possible by reading books.
    >
    > I would like to read complete books not just covering one linux distro but
    > common things in all of them that probably were carried over from unix. By
    > this I mean not mainly unix but materials that will make be capable of
    > dealing with almost any distro.
    >
    > I would like the books to include one of the following:
    >
    > 1- Linux & Unix Commands(Specially those that are very useful).
    > 2- Linux Networking & Firewall(Iptables).
    > 3- Backing up.
    > 4- Setup Important applications(Samba,Apache,Postfix or any MTA,etc).
    > 5- Scripting(Awk, Sed, Perl).
    > 6- Kernel Compiling & Hacking.
    > 7- Linux Security.
    > 8- NFS
    > 9- NIS
    > 10-SNMP & Network Centralized Managment.
    > 11- Anything I missed that helps for the Certification and would prepare
    > m to help other persons in these groups.
    >
    > I have Running Linux 3rd edition, Linux in a nutshell. I would like to
    > hear about the best of the best.
    >
    > Thanks for your time,
    >
    > Iván C. Filpo

    • Re: OT: Linux vs. Unix :: popularity?
      ... Overwhelmingly linux over unix. ... While its true that *bsd has fewer books, they are all of superb quality. ... support on usenet newsgroups. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: recommended reading?
      ... Of all of the books I've ever bought on linux, ... Linux Administration Handbook ... As far as beginner stuff goes, the coolest thing you can do for yourself ... to use command line in Linux, then learn a command line editor like vi ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Which Linux distros would be best for me?
      ... I like to learn from newsgroups and books. ... I want to add one or more Linux systems to my multi-boot Windows ... I also have a non-standard mobo that uses a special drivers CD (Mainboard XP ...
      (alt.linux)
    • OT: Linux vs. Unix :: popularity?
      ... So I was at the local bookstore an hour ago, ... Overwhelmingly linux over unix. ... the linux users group LUG last night is a FreeBSD user, ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: Please Recommend Good Linux Books Talking as much and thoroughly as possible
      ... >>I have been using Linux for quite a while and I am trying to learn as much ... >>as possible by reading books. ... > USING SCRIPTING, use sed, awk, bash and TclTK. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)