Name serving behind a blue linksys box

From: tom (lfs_at_home.com)
Date: 11/14/04

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:00:26 GMT

If one has a small network connected to the internet
using DSL, one can purchase a blue
linksys box to serve as a switch and dchp server
for the network and also a firewall.

If one sticks four Windows boxes behind the box,
there is no problem with name serving as Windows
will just use broadcasting to match the names with
IP addresses on the network.

If one sticks more than one Linux boxes behind the
network, there is something of a problem. Using
Samba the Linux boxes will know each other by
name. But how would the Linux boxes know
each other by name using a command like ping?

Using a DNS server or adding entries to /etc/hosts
would not be a solution here as the blue box
serves the IP addresses dynamically.

What is the solution here?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Name serving behind a blue linksys box
    ... >> linksys box to serve as a switch and dchp server ... >> for the network and also a firewall. ... >> If one sticks more than one Linux boxes behind the ... > You can use static IP's in your linux boxes even tho a Linksys router is ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Name serving behind a blue linksys box
    ... > linksys box to serve as a switch and dchp server ... > for the network and also a firewall. ... > If one sticks more than one Linux boxes behind the ... You can use static IP's in your linux boxes even tho a Linksys router is ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Setting up a Server, with multiple clients, nas boxes, mac and wireless
    ... I am about to rebuild a network and I want to use Ubuntu server. ... Mac Pro using Parallels to serve Sage. ... wireless card be able to serve wireless to the office or do I need it ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Home network setup
    ... My current home network consists of several PC connected to a Netgear ... wireless router. ... using the "hub" would just plug into one of the four LAN ports. ... The second will serve the DMZ and have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Can Ping Websites but not access them
    ... The server has two NICs - one configured ... internal network address and is the DCHP Server for the internal ... no internet connectivity at all. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)