Re: Sharing DSL Connection

From: Conny (NOSPAMuncurbed_at_swipnet.se)
Date: 01/01/05

Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:33:06 GMT

"Jeffrey O'Neal" <prologic@earthlink.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:jSeBd.4420$JC2.658@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

> "Conny" <NOSPAMuncurbed@swipnet.se> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeffrey O'Neal" <prologic@earthlink.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > How exactly would I go about sharing a DSL connection with two
> computers?
>> > One is a PC running Windows NT Workstation 4.0, and the other a system
>> > running FreeBSD 5.2.1 (Unix). What kind of equipment will I need? What
>> > will
>> > I need to configure? Any response to this will be *greatly*
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeff
>> >

>> The easy way is to buy a 4 port router.
>> And connect them like this:
>> Internet-Modem-RouterDHCP - Computer 1
>> \ Computer 2
>>

> Ok, I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to home networking, so... If my
> DSL service provider provides me with an NIC for the Windows PC, will I
> need
> one for the Unix box? And can anyone assist me on how to enable DHCP in
> FreeBSD?
>
> Thanks

If you just get the NIC's working it does not matter if you have dynamic or
static IP's on your machines, but its more easy to get it all up and running
to set them to dynamic IP.

If you set the nic's to static IP be shure to point the gateway to the
routers IP.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Master Browser?
    ... > computers networked as a Workgroup via a Linksys 4 port router to a DSL ... Switch to Mozilla 1.7.5 it is the same as Netscape.. ... I have a linksys BEFSR41 Connected to a Motorola SB4200 Cable Modem for ...
  • Re: Fixed IP address necessary?
    ... They've got a four port router plugged into the four port router on the DSL modem, ... My goal is to install a single 8-port Linksys/Cisco, use the Uplink Port to the DSL router, and use DHCP to control the IP's ... since all the computers have that secondary drive in the server MAPPED for b/u purposes, will DHCP cause a problem or should I just keep the IP addresses that are already assigned? ...
  • Limit Access?
    ... I have a small home network with a Linksys 4 port router. ... so that 2 of the computers can only access the internet using Norton ... Basically I want all Internet access blocked but Symantec Liveupdate ... All of the computers are curretly hooked up to the Linksys ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Master Browser?
    ... I have 4 computers networked (as a Workgroup, not a Domain) via a Linksys 8 ... port router to a DSL modem. ... Why is one computer designated the "master" on a network where all computers ...
  • wireless networking and
    ... Iblitzz 4 port router, with a usb hub, both computers are ... I have had to run system recovery twice on the remote ... connection, which isby the way road runner broadband, ...