Email POP relay

From: Lee Hanken (lee_hanken_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: 5 Jan 2005 12:57:56 -0800

My family currently access all our email from a machine in the living
room. It is sorted into folders according to who it is to by Outlook
Express. I thought it would be nice if we could access our mail from
our own computers (without all switching to new separate email
accounts).

I am considering setting up a linux box on my home network to collect
email from 2 or more external POP accounts on request and then serve
it to POP or IMAP clients on the network.

The machines on the network I am envisaging will have local IP
addresses assigned by the DHCP serving wired+wireless router (attached
to my broadband cable modem), such as 192.168.0.x and will be running
various operating systems.

My first question is what combination of software can accomplish the
task of immediately getting mail from various sources and serving it,
whenever a client email program makes a connection.

My second, more troublesome, question is how can I specify an internet
address to the mail clients that will resolve to whatever dynamically
assigned IP address my 'mail-hub' happens to have.

Please let me know if I am thinking in entirely the wrong direction,
or if what I am suggesting is possible.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IP address assignment problem
    ... I have a little problem and seek for ur thoughts, let's assume I'm in a very open environment where everyone can very easily try to get his/her laptop on the network and IP addresses are assigned by a DHCP server and we are in a domain environment, how do I prevent machines that are not part of our domain to be assigned an IP address? ... This approach doesn't stop your rogue clients from connecting to other clients, but merely doesn't give them the information they normally need to do so. ... Using 802.1x, your workstations authenticate through the switch to a radius server before they are allowed any connectivity. ... This authentication can use X.509 certificates, computer account credentials from AD, or whatever else you'd normally configure radius to authenticate with. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Dropped Client Connections
    ... I understand that the SBS clients will lose ... Do all clients lose network connection at same time? ... Do you have single or double NICs on SBS? ... Modify the registry to disable Receive Side Scaling ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Please help me "sell" the idea of a more secure network
    ... changes first should bring the network up a notch or two. ... Do the same thing using a wireless notebook from you company. ... show him a PO or invoice for a customer who had an AV ... products, releases, life cycles, etc, all on the individual clients. ...
  • Re: Please help me "sell" the idea of a more secure network
    ... changes first should bring the network up a notch or two. ... Do the same thing using a wireless notebook from you company. ... show him a PO or invoice for a customer who had an AV ... products, releases, life cycles, etc, all on the individual clients. ...
  • Multiple Consistent Security Event Logs
    ... to capture Audits for both the Clients n the Servers. ... enabled certain other policies relating to secure Network Communication. ... Object Access, Logon/Logoff, Account Logon, Privilege Use with 'User' varying ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)