Email POP relay

From: Lee Hanken (lee_hanken_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: 5 Jan 2005 12:57:56 -0800

My family currently access all our email from a machine in the living
room. It is sorted into folders according to who it is to by Outlook
Express. I thought it would be nice if we could access our mail from
our own computers (without all switching to new separate email
accounts).

I am considering setting up a linux box on my home network to collect
email from 2 or more external POP accounts on request and then serve
it to POP or IMAP clients on the network.

The machines on the network I am envisaging will have local IP
addresses assigned by the DHCP serving wired+wireless router (attached
to my broadband cable modem), such as 192.168.0.x and will be running
various operating systems.

My first question is what combination of software can accomplish the
task of immediately getting mail from various sources and serving it,
whenever a client email program makes a connection.

My second, more troublesome, question is how can I specify an internet
address to the mail clients that will resolve to whatever dynamically
assigned IP address my 'mail-hub' happens to have.

Please let me know if I am thinking in entirely the wrong direction,
or if what I am suggesting is possible.