Re: Setting Up NTP for Time Sync

From: W. Watson (wolf_tracks_at_invalid.inv)
Date: 01/05/05

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:22:15 GMT

W. Watson wrote:
> I have read the other posts to mine, and will look at some of things
> mentioned. Since I posted the original a few hours ago, a few things of
> interest have occurred.
>
> I discovered the need to put the "server 192.168.0.3" in my ntp.conf
> file, as mentioned by a few posters. The IP address is for the XP
> machine, solarblast. 192.168.0.1 is for the Linux box, astropc2004. I
> then reset the clock and date through the RHL9 calendar icon on the
> panel of the desk top to be very far off the real time/date. I then used
> it again to fire up ntp, using a check box on the dialog, to get the
> info from the XP. A small "Waiting" dialog appeared for about 10
> seconds, and then the calendar/date dialog disappeared. No change in
> date or time. I found this a bit odd, since if I fire up W2k on the
> Linux box, I can set its time from XP.
>
> After some more Googling, I found that the LocalNTP entry in XP's
> registry should be set to binary 1. Mine was binary 0. I then repeated
> the above on Linux, but still nothing. Perhaps I needed to boot XP.
> Haven't tried that yet. Setting the value to 1 is still a little
> perplexing because W2k had no trouble with the sync.
>
> I see a few people suggested a SIGHUP. I'm sort of a rookie at this, but
> I think that means basically to restart NTP on Linux. I'll do that and
> reboot XP and report back.

Well, the XP boot and the ntp restart didn't change a thing. Linux didn't sync its
time with XP.

                   Obz Site:  39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
                         Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting Up NTP for Time Sync
    ... > W. Watson wrote: ... >> Linux box, I can set its time from XP. ... >> perplexing because W2k had no trouble with the sync. ... >> but I think that means basically to restart NTP on Linux. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Changing a Binary Value in the Registry? (Topic Tilt to NTP)
    ... > the local internet from firewall protection. ... > the Linux machine astro_pc, and found XP didn't like that. ... > to astropc, but XP seems to at times cling to the notion that its astro_pc. ... Wayne T. Watson GMT-8 hr std. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Setting Up NTP for Time Sync
    ... > Why can't I synch off of the NTP machine from linux? ... that you don't get time corrections from your XP. ... added knowledge of NTP sync working with another source. ... Holmes and Watson went for a night out camping. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Power Supply Cause of Crashes? (Return to March Problem)
    ... I had hoped to get Linux back up without ... > resorting to reinstalling it, but eventually succumbed to reinstalling, ... > kernel, rtlinux, successfully. ... Wayne T. Watson ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Erratic Crashes of Hardware--Recovery Not Going Well
    ... On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:47:30 GMT, W. Watson ... > I had posted this in the hardware NG, ... > regular linux and realtime linux. ... RHL9 has been obsolete for years, yada, yada... ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)