Re: Headless machine?

From: Patrick McDonnell (pmcdonnell_at_muncc.marmionacademy.org)
Date: 01/17/05

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:49:50 -0600

John wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a machine set up on my home network running Mandrake 10.0. I have
> been using this machine to download large music videos etc from the likes
> of bittorrent. I used a KVM switch with the linux box and my main machine
> in order to control the linux box but it was a v.cheap switch (5.00 on
> ebay) and hence the picture quality is extremely poor (plus it locks out
> my keyboard and mouse intermittently).
>
> I have removed the switch and now want to access the linux box from my
> other PC. I can SSH in and start downlaods etc but with the bittorrent
> stuff I would like to see how much I have downloaded/uploaded to make sure
> i dont become a file leach.
>
> The problem i have is that when i switch the machine off that i ssh'ed in
> from i then lose the screen that had all the details (i.e. if i ssh in
> again i dont have the original screen up again). I have exceed but this
> has the same problem - when you end a session you no longer have the same
> screen up and hence the GUI for the bittorent client is gone. Does anyone
> know of a solution to this problem or point me in the right direction as
> to where i would find infomration about this?
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> John

If you want X Windows, investigate installing a VNC server on the Linux box,
and a VNC client on your other box. Or else, use the GNU Screen program.

--
Patrick McDonnell
http://www.muncc.marmionacademy.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Headless machine?
    ... been using this machine to download large music videos etc from the likes of ... order to control the linux box but it was a v.cheap switch ... I can SSH in and start downlaods etc but with the bittorrent stuff I ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Which Flavour & Version?
    ... John John wrote: ... > want to explore the Linux OS. ... > opposed to have to download hundreds of MBs on a slow internet ... I was in your shoes a few months ago and I tired Red Hat 9.0. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Which Flavour & Version?
    ... John John wrote: ... > want to explore the Linux OS. ... > opposed to have to download hundreds of MBs on a slow internet ... What would you recommend, Mandrake, Redhat, SUSE etc.? ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Like to switch to Linux
    ... many Linux distr. ... So I made the switch to Linux. ... Ubuntu seemed to be the easiest to use and it found all my hardware. ... I could EASILY let it do a almost automatic update but I'm going to download it and go from scratch one last time. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Things I need before I switch to linux
    ... "Things I need before I switch to Linux" ... How do you know that all the shortcomings you mention are still valid? ... John ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)