Re: Moving home network to IPv6

From: David Goodenough (david.goodenough_at_btconnect.com)
Date: 03/28/05

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:16:40 +0100

ajj3085@adelphia.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I currently have a home network setup with IPv4, and would like to move
> to IPv6. Before I do anything, I'd like to know if there will be
> problems because of the setup I have.
>
> Currently, I have adelphia cable internet (who is only IPv4 still I
> believe), with a Dlink 704p router for the firewall and a Dwl900
> AirPlus for wireless clients. Ideally, I'd like to be able to keep
> these in use.
>
> The network is a mix of Linux and WinXP clients. I have a RH linux 9
> server offering DHCP, DNS (my internal names + caching of Inet names),
> NTP, SMB, NFS, SSH, CUPS, and Apache HTTP.
>
> I have a private 192.168.0 class address...if there is a similar
> concept in V6, I'd like to stick with it.
>
> So, is this feasable, and where do I start? I'd like to migrate the
> server first, then a single client...to make sure its working before I
> start moving the others.
>
> Thanks!
> Andy
You can run both concurrently. If you set up a V6 network locally you
will use Link Local addresses (the equivalent of the private addresses)
but you can use V4 for external use.

David

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 100 Mbps @ Goonhilly for free
    ... It can actually make a surprising difference to perceived "speed" if one has a home network setup with a web proxy on another machine. ... Dunno if that is significant in the real world but I did notice an improvement 10 vs 100 network when using a 56K dialup on a remote machine some years back. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • Re: File sharing problem
    ... >I have a secure home network setup using a Linksys wireless router with two ... Computer 1 is connected directly to the AP and Computer 2 accesses ... >the network through a USB wireless adator. ...
  • XP Home Network Problems
    ... I have 2 computers network together via a CAT 5 hub. ... I've run the Home Network Setup on the XP Home PC, ... On the XP Pro side, I had it setup for a Domain ... I believe I did that - and set it up as Workgroup, ...
  • Sharing of folders on a network
    ... I have a home network setup for 2 computers, one using Windows XP Pro and ... network, that folder still appears in "My Network Places". ...
  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)