ADSL Router - PPP Half Bridge mode background info & Help!

From: Coenraad Loubser (c10u_at_ananzi.co.za)
Date: 04/18/05

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:28:03 +0200

Hi all

I've got this Planet 3000 something ADSL Router. Now I've got it set up
to connect to my ISP with a username and password, and doing NAT (it
does DHCP too by default)

Now this is all fine and dandy. The only thing, though, is that it's
connected to only one machine - my linux server - to which a whole lan
is connected.

Now, every time I need to open a port on a client machine I have to log
into the modem and enable "virtual servers" or port forwarding, save
settings, reboot modem. Which is, understandably, annoying! Plus theres
a limit of 20 forwarder ports, and some crash the firmware!

SO i've seen this bridge/half bridge/something mode... where the linux
server gets to do the PPPoE and gets the WAN IP on a linux interface.

I've tried to set this up, by setting various Bridge and Half Bridge
settings and protocols on the modem, but nothing that makes the Linux
box see the modem.

Could anyone familiar with the involved technology briefly give me an
overview of how it works/is supposed to work?

Does the modem get an IP in a setup like this? Does all the traffic get
sent to the modem purely based on its MAC address? Does the interface
the modem is connected on need an IP address?

What is DMZ? Is it a better option? Will it accomplish the same?

Thanks, Teachers!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ADSL Router - PPP Half Bridge mode background info & Help!
    ... Got this set-up right now to compose this message on my debian linux ... configure your modem with the correct settings. ... interface towards the modem (oh, by the way, I strongly suggest you use ... > I've tried to set this up, by setting various Bridge and Half Bridge ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Kernel Compile Checklist and PCMCIA Modem Problem
    ... I have a LC2430 laptop from Linux Certified and I have SuSE Pro 9.0 on ... my onboard modem Uniwill 82801DB AC'97 was struck ... After looking at various modems in the SuSE database I ... custom kernel, since, if I screw up, I haven't lost much since I was going ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Do USB DSL Modems work in SuSE 9?
    ... > a Sagem USB modem working and did give instructions on how, ... PPPoE for Eagle?)? ... it is natural that you will try the drivers from the ... Mar 7 09:33:04 linux pppd: Plugin pppoe.so loaded. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Re: 1/2 dozenth request over 3-years
    ... Pure Linux command line login, ... available one and it's modem. ... assortment of 16 terminals and old XT's to hook those in. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Existing DSL not detected by re-install
    ... That's written on the bottom of the modem for "Advanced Modem ... "The modem is reported to work under Linux out of the box." ... The card works on the Windows side, and *did* work on the Linux side. ... I don't want to change *standard* settings. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)