DNS requests switch from UDP to TCP

muxaul_at_lenta.ru
Date: 04/18/05

Date: 18 Apr 2005 06:12:04 -0700

Hello everybody,

I have witnessed a strange behavior of my machine and would like
to understand what has been happening. The situation is as follows.
My machine, which is online 24/7, uses fwlogwatch to generate daily
reports about connection attempts. I use a switch that makes
fwlogwatch try to resolve IP addresses, so that it sends requests
to an exterior DNS server when preparing a report. Usually, these
requests use UDP. Still, I have seen several times it using TCP
for these queries. My question is: What can make a program use TCP
for DNS requests?

Thanks!

Mikhail

Relevant Pages

  • Re: strange igb interface performance problems
    ... The link's traffic is for the most part TCP ... Interval Transfer Bandwidth ... requests for sfbufs delayed ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: strange igb interface performance problems
    ... The link's traffic is for the most part TCP ... Interval Transfer Bandwidth ... 10240/5120 mbuf+clusters out of packet secondary zone in use (current/cache) ... requests for sfbufs delayed ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: strange igb interface performance problems
    ... If you run the same connection without the vlan ... The link's traffic is for the most part TCP ... Interval Transfer Bandwidth ... requests for sfbufs delayed ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: 64K limit for socket send
    ... This is an optimization to TCP that tries to avoid ... TCP stack will save it in its buffer and wait for us to "send" some ... service is listening for connection requests ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Delphi makes it to digg!
    ... Yes and no. Feature requests need to be clearly differentiated from bug ... Reporting already differentiates between requests and bugs. ... Reports could not be reproduced but were never closed ... investigate issues that they end up not being able to reproduce. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)