Linux does provide everything...

From: Coenraad Loubser (c10u_at_ananzi.co.za)
Date: 04/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:57:42 +0200

Hi.

Yes. Linux does provide everything windows does, and more.

The installation process is just often slightly more tedious, and there
is a learning curve if you are going set up mailservers and webservers
and such - but the same holds for windows.

I have tried Mandrake, Debian, SuSe, Ubuntu, Caldera, and some others I
cant recall.

Out of the lot, Mandrake and SuSe's installations are the most
straightforward. Mandrake being simpler than Suse. But Suse more powerful.

Each has its own configuration utility and menu system once youre in
windows, and you will be better off with someone knowledgeable to walk
you through the basics. But in short, with a few hours on hand, simply
by browsing the menus and configs, you should get a webserver up and
running on Suse or Mandrake.

haha, The hardest bit will be finding the subdirectory where you should
put the HTML files! on suse it is /srv/www/html

Internet Explorer = Mozilla Firefox (which I use on Windows anyways, it
is identical to IE except you dont get popups and spyware. You can
enable popups for certain sites. Firefox is really neat! Font smoothing,
everything, just like IE. Actually, most sites nowadays look better on
it. Firefox also adds tabbed browsing which is vasly superior to having
10 or 5 different browser windows all over the screen or the taskbar.

MS Office = Openoffce 2.0 Beta - which I use on windows anyways. It is
slightly less responsive than Office 2003, but more versatile and
powerful, and looks nicer. Just make sure your PC's have at least 512MB
Ram if you are going to keep mail, spreadsheet, writer, and webbrowser
all open at the same time.

Outlook = Mozilla Thunderbird - which I use on win anwyays. Its about as
configurable and an option I personally LOVE is the threaded view - I
dump all my sent mail in there, then it is easy to follow email
conversations as when you receive a response to a previous mail, it
shows up as a tree, right on top. (if sorted by date). Lovely, neat..
and as for firefox you can download all kinds of extensions. Be warned,
it runs best clean with no addons, as do firefox.

Unfortunately I know of only one linux that comes with all this out of
the box.

KNOPPIX!

The beauty of knoppix is, that you can run it without installing it.
Thats right. It boots right off the CD. And it is just so cool.

So, If you want to see what Linux is/can be like, rather download
Knoppix. I looked at 2.4 and 2.6. Theres probably a newer version out.
Its even got plugins to use windows drivers for unsupported hardware!

..But thats getting into too much detail.

Do give yourself at least 3-4 days of "down-time" while upgrading and
installing linux to get everything more or less in place. You are going
to get stuck and frustrated, and although there is such a volume of help
available on the internet, you are sometimes going to have to wait quite
a while until you find the answer.

But try Knoppix.

It's got my stamp of approval!

Coenraad

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Time learning openSUSE
    ... should think about when talking to Windows admins ... I must honestly say I have had more downtime on the Linux server then on ... installing Linux on Bill Gates PC. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: free vs commercial
    ... > comparing the Linux I had installed with WinXP. ... think we as a whole would acknowledge the warts Debian and Linux have but I ... Installing my suite of software on Windows requires a CD-R ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: HELP!! Dual monitors - Primary shuts off when mouse moves off it!
    ... I start to miss my Windows ... when installing new ... > This isn't to say that I don't absolutely love Linux. ... Yes, lack of support. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Is Zotob A MS Plot . . . .
    ... Problem is the simple Wintards around here are too busy sucking ... all that is required to have no problems running hardware under Linux. ... all Windows machines slowly degenerate over time. ... first thing to do after installing is to visit http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [OT] Trying to change my OS from Windows to Linux/Mac
    ... Of course, I tried several linux OS's and this year I even purchased Mini Mac. ... Amiga 1200 for years I've never been able to acclimate to the Windows ... Unlike with Windows, hardware vendors still don't usually make drivers for Linux, and with laptops keep their specifications often secret. ... There I added the finishing touches, like installing the pptp client I had downloaded earlier from Windows and configurating it. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)