Re: What MS says...

From: Coenraad Loubser (c10u_at_ananzi.co.za)
Date: 04/25/05

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:43:25 +0200

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303743

It seems the DHCP server does use the wrong field.... I'll have to look
at the capture again, I don't recall seeing that field...

>Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.2rc3
>Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
this is the version that sucks so bad... but at least it doesnt just die
like the one that comes with Suse 9.1, or the updated one from yast. !*@#(*

Third-party DHCP server may assign duplicate IP addresses to clients
that are behind a network bridge
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 303743
Last Review : February 14, 2005
Revision : 2.0
On this page
SYMPTOMS SYMPTOMS
CAUSE CAUSE
RESOLUTION RESOLUTION
APPLIES TO APPLIES TO
SYMPTOMS
Your Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) client computer is located
behind a Microsoft Windows XP-based host computer and has a network
bridge configured. Your DHCP client computer tries to obtain an IP
address from a third-party DHCP server. You receive a "duplicate IP
address" error message. This issue may occur in network environments
where a DSL modem, router, or switch acts as a DHCP server.

Note A Windows XP-based host computer is a computer that runs Windows XP
and that shares its network connection with other computers.
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
This issue can occur if the third-party DHCP server incorrectly uses the
MAC address from the CHADDR (the Client hardware address) field of the
DHCP Request packet (instead of the Client Identifier field) to identify
the client that is requesting a DHCP lease. Request for Comments (RFC)
2131 states that the DHCP server must use the Client Identifier field
(if used by the client) to identify the client.
Back to the top Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of the DHCP server to
inquire about the availability of a fix for this issue.
Back to the top Back to the top

Relevant Pages

  • Re: DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION
    ... Configure your DHCP server to tell all ... clients on your network the addresses for configuring your network ... That gets you a normal running network, where each client is ... depends on how you configure your DHCP server. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION
    ... Configure your DHCP server to tell all ... clients on your network the addresses for configuring your network ... That gets you a normal running network, where each client is ... depends on how you configure your DHCP server. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: network vs NetworkManger services ??
    ... Getting back to network manager, there's two basic ways you can expect ... If you have a DHCP server on the network, ... it is possible for a DHCP client to have ... overriding local configuration, but network manager doesn't seem to ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: cannot network client to 2003 server
    ... >client, whenever I try to release and renew ip ... If you are getting a private IP then you will only get that from an DHCP Server set to hand out ... Is the client that is requesting the addresses in the same broadcast domain as the DHCP Server? ... Are thee any other clients on this network that are failing to get the address? ...
  • Re: DHCP for multiple subnets (was: Re: Routing and bandwidth problem)
    ... >The DHCP server shouldn't care what interface the request came in on, ... >rather it looks at the source network of the request. ... the network interface on which the request arrived at the router. ...
    (Fedora)